Furiously Eclectic People

Full Version: Tracy's HackMoor Campaign 2014/09/30
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We had another "Meat-Lover's Pizza" and the cook got it correct this time.

Games are held sometime after 5PM at World's Best Comics, 9714 Warwick Blvd Newport News, Virginia 23601.

Before we begin, I have a question to the list and forum readers out there: Would a Teleport spell work from inside a Faraday cage? Presuming teleportation as a form of matter transmission, needs a carrier wave. That can also be argued for or against.

++++ START OF SESSION ++++

We left the group from the previous session under attack from the Skithering Yith Monkeys who were using chained Magic Missiles and Charm Person spells to achieve their desired effect. So the party all decided to activate Weasel's "Rod of Security" and go to his "Happy Place" in another dimension to escape the attack.

While the willing party members were easy to calculate, the charmed party members, Huang & Honda refused. Since activation of Weasel's "Rod" required touch for willing participants to be so transported, I had to judge that unwilling participates had to at least be "hit" in some manner (a non damage attack). We looked up all the rules and benefits of such an attack as well as the Player for Huang & Honda looking up all his counter-benefits. We rolled the attack and neither Huang nor Honda were transported. (This evolution took nearly an hour of yelling across the table.)

But wait, there's more!

Having decided the previous week to touch Weasel's Rod of Security, and then having a week to think about it. The Player's got the idea they could use their (module DA3) communicators to convey their escape plans so the OTHER half of the party could run upstairs and also go to Weasel's happy place.

So everyone went to Weasel's "Happy Place" except the aforementioned Huang & Honda.

The party decided to wait in the nether-regions for ten hours. This allowed for the rest of the party (mostly still on hallucinogens) to crash and come to their senses. Upon reappearing, they found the bedroom they had vanished from empty, repaired of all damage including the bed,and with clean sheets.

Having studied their map, they decided the next place to go was the basement and made a beeline from their current upstairs location to the ground-floor lobby. While in marching order, they were struck from behind with Fireballs from the Rods of Sunflame (Model DA3) by none other than Huang, Honda AND Brother Richard including another set of Magic Missiles from the Monkeys.

Killed outright into crispy-critters were the four mini-Giants, Kiki the Pixie Nixie, Kmaregh and Tubbs.

Getting tired of having over half the party killed or chamed, Elefus our heavily armored Deacon swearing oaths to his gawd, tossed a (model DA3) RED Death Egg (radiation grenade) into the midst of the Monkeys. The Monkeys failed their saving throws and died. All others made their saving throws or sustained the damage and survived.

Killing the Monkeys thus broke the charm spell leaving Huang, Honda, & Brother Richard wondering what they were doing. But all was conveniently forgiven and the Party was whole again. Elefus with the help of his gawd, raised Kmaregh and Brother Richard raised Tubbs back from the dead. They saved Kiki's crumbs for later, in case his Player comes back. They swept the four mini-Giants under the rug, thus failing Kmaregh's promise to return them to their homeland and restore their original size.

Does this breaking of a Blood Oath have to be rolled for four times or just once?

(Broken Tooth wasn't mentioned, but also died in one of the area effect weapon ranges.)

++++ CHARACTER ROSTER ++++

PLAYERS

Count Elefus, Human Male Deacon
Sir Weasel, Human Guild Soldier, Enchanter, & Myrmidon
Sir Kmaregh Dismal, Human Evoker
Sir Huang - Human Monk Master
Dame Honda - Human Samurai Bushi
Kiki - Minor-Trickster, Pixie-Nixie (Deceased)
Numrendir - Human Coercer

NPCs:

Henchman Tubbs
Mini-Hill Giant: Larry (Deceased)
Mini-Frost Giant: Curly (Deceased)
Mini-Fire Giant: Moe (Deceased)
Mini-Stone Giant: Shemp (Deceased)
Kobold Slave: Broken_Tooth (Deceased)
Brother Richard - Human Canon of the Thonian High Church

MISSING CHARACTERS (captured)

Junkbot Jackson - Tracker/Adept
Gerry Castagere, Human Fingersmith, and ever loving devotee of Elefus
Fundisha - Half-Elf Swordsperson

++++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR ++++
Was the oath made to the group or each mini-Giant individually?
As a a group. Hah! Hadn't thought of that.

(10-16-2014, 02:06 PM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote: [ -> ]Was the oath made to the group or each mini-Giant individually?
(10-16-2014, 10:19 AM)tmjva Wrote: [ -> ]Before we begin, I have a question to the list and forum readers out there: Would a Teleport spell work from inside a Faraday cage? Presuming teleportation as a form of matter transmission, needs a carrier wave. That can also be argued for or against.

In my campaign I think I would allow it because I wouldn't presume it needs a carrier wave, however if you do, blocking it sounds reasonable. I think I consider teleport to be kind of a wormhole style effect of being sucked into and appeared elsewhere without even your atoms physically travelling the distance, just popping in and out magically. It's certainly debatable. I guess I would have to ask, "What is magic?"
Actually I got a more definitive answer from the old Greytalk list-serv that solves the physics problem. Matter transmission is down to the molecular level and no carrier wave, so a Faraday cage would not pose a problem at all. It would be like flying in the empty space between two stars, nothing there to interrupt it.

Of course what I really wanted to do was find a way to keep one of the Players from teleporting out.
Good answer!

It seems relatively easy for magic to block magic. Dimensional anchors, magical suppression chambers, simple warding, powders, etc.

Could even be ritualistic circles or runes that by design block teleportation. In a world where teleportation exists, there would likely be ample ways to block it. The same with invisibility. Powerful rulers and rich merchants need some protection Wink

It still helps to know the nature of magic in your campaign world.
The nature of magic? I simply derive it out of the HackMaster books. For the question at hand I was looking for a plausible excuse to befuddle the Players.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)