Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ACT] What shows have you been watching?
Samurai Cat

Silly at times, particularly in season 2, but a touching period piece.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
The Umbrella Academy Season 2

How long will I have to wait for season 3? Thank goodness The Boys season 2 is coming this September. And the new season of Lucifer is this month. No, Lucifer isn't high art, but it's decent fare.
(06-13-2020, 01:50 PM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote: Rick and Morty is frickin' awesome. I'm embarrassed I hadn't watched it sooner.

About the same time I decided to give these new fangled things, Rick & Morty and Adventure Time.

I slept through a couple AT stories but don't really get it forgave much interest to continue.

R&M left me wondering what I'd just watched suddenly I'm on my fourth viewing of all four seasons finding new depth in every episode. It replaced Friends for me.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Well, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is now over along with the last reason for me to watch any of the major networks. (I don't consider CW to be major, which still has me for Legends of Tomorrow.) Oh wait. There's The Blacklist.
How many seasons for AoS? I think I stopped during the Ghost Rider entrance. I got irritated with the movie tie-ins and having to wait to see episodes until after seeing the movie so lost track of where I was.

Is Blacklist still going? I struggled with LoT and really all the DC shows at some point. Each for different reasons.

Watching, The Next Step (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2374744/), Lovecraft Country, Carter (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7083006/), Doom Patrol, a second go around for Californication, Black Scorpion, Spenser for Hire, Torchwood and just about finished Darling in the Franxx. Of course The Rookie and a second go at Cobra Kai. oH geez, occasionally Black Lagoon and Thundarr the Barbarian.

I've stated my distaste for J.J. "Goddamn" Abrams before. He's a slightly more cerebral Michael "Fuckwit" Bey. They know one thing that's somewhat clever that they do well but they do not know when not to do that single, somewhat clever thing they know how to do well. For Bey it's the "heroic sweep," kind of a modern take on the Long Walk that Peckinpah created and perfected in The Wild Bunch. The heroic sweep let's the audience know that the character is resolved, will do what must be done, consequences be damned. It is also great for emphasizing action. But if it's used in almost every scene, every other shot, then it loses it's affect. When all shots are "dramatic," then no shot is dramatic. They all just bleed into each other and become indistinguishable.

For Goddamn Abrams the one somewhat clever thing is his fucking "Mystery Box." I'm sure you've seen a clip of him giving his talk with the box sitting on a stool. Bought for $12.95 or something at a magic shop in his youth, never opened, it's the basis of his entire career; "The mystery of just what's inside is what's intriguing," or some bullshit like that. So Goddamn Abrams makes movies that are or have Mystery Boxes, leaving the audience intrigued about what may be inside. The problem is Goddamn Abrams makes movies and shows about the box, not about what is inside, and when what's inside is revealed it's just like what we know is inside his fucking Mystery Box: $10 worth of cheap plastic crap that the magic shop was unable to sell.

That said, I enjoyed the first two episodes of Lovecraft Country despite the issues I have with it, foremost being the choice of music. The show is an alternate historical period piece but the music, and only the music, is anachronistic, the most egregious being Movin' on Up, the theme song to The Jeffersons. Why use songs that are written decades after the time period? Because Hamilton is my guess. Seems like the kind of superficial thing Goddamn Abrams goes for.

Still, episode three is re-airing later and I've set it to record.
Oh yeah, Lovecraft Country. Never made it past episode four. Maybe five. Don't remember.

Anyway, been watching Clone Wars. Just started season three. If this had been the Anakin Skywalker in the movies instead of the petulant man-baby we got, maybe the prequel trilogy would would have been only half the steaming pile that it was.
I think I watched six episodes of LC. Didn't enjoy the odd numbered ones and the even numbered ones had something I liked. I got distracted and don't feel any real reason to invest the time in episode 7 yet. Someday but I have The Mandalorian S02 and Danmachi S03 along with Discovery S03 to start soon.

Right now making my way through Longmire again.

I'm on season 12 of Poirot and am on the 4th Doctor. 

I don't watch U.S. TV anymore.
Tracy Johnson

BT

NNNN
(07-19-2020, 09:52 AM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote: Samurai Cat

Silly at times, particularly in season 2, but a touching period piece.

I think I have a Samurai Cat graphic novel somewhere. Pretty bloody if I remember correctly. Smile

Just started watching Peaky Blinders a little over a month ago. Started the last season yesterday. Pretty good to hear my grandmother’s brogue coming out of some gangsters mouths. Smile
The machinations were much better at the start of the show, they are getting a bit too multi-layered, but still good.