Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Groo Tries To Grow As A Gamer
*brushes the dust off of my login credentials*

*taps mic* Is this thing on?

First, some background: I loves me some XCOM. Kersus introduced me to the original Microprose version (UFO Defense... with an 's'? Man, I can't recall) in the way-way back, and I was instantly hooked. There was no gateway drug, just straight to the turn-based free base. I really don't know how to accurately sum up my devotion to this franchise other than using heavy-handed substance addiction metaphors (see above)...

(sips beer)... what?

Anyway, I've followed the ups and downs of the title over the years, and when Firaxis (shout out to Sid Meier!) released that gem of a reboot back in 2012, I was in heaven.

And then life happens... a wife, a daughter, a cat... more important things come up than seeing the sunrise on a school night after saving the world from an alien invasion.

Enter XCOM2. What a bitter-sweet set of circumstances: having everything (wife/kid/cat/mortgage?) and yet having nothing (disposable income to purchase new shiny game on release day/a PC with the ponies under the case to run the damn thing/mortgage). So I console myself with my current collection of unfinished games and be an "grown up". And by grown up I mean, seeing this awesome title on sale for a song during a Steam Black Friday event, and buying the darn thing so I at least have it in my library for later, when I upgrade the Beast... likely when the kid goes off to college... but she's only a year and a half now, so... (cue Charlie Brown Arg)... but still, PLANNING, PEOPLE!

The months go by, and part of being a grown up is realising you can't pirate operating systems anymore (also, it stopped updating security features and crap, son, I do my banking here and it's where I keep my baby pictures)... so I budget and I save and get the new Windows, and I'm up late and figure "shoot, I've got the hard drive space and a brand new month of internet bandwidth", so I download and install the game on a lark.

Sweet profanity, the profanity profanity game runs on this profanity beautiful machine! If I ever meet Bill Gates in a bar, I will allow him to buy me a drink! Several, even!

So I sacrifice sleep (toddler in the house, yo) for bringing the fight to those alien evil-doers one more time, and, I bowel-movement-you-not, I beat the game (base version, no expansions) at 2AM on my 41st birthday. Can't make that crap up... I'm still waiting for Hollywood to get back to me with an offer for the movie rights (expansion packs are expensive... Call me!)

Naturally, I almost immediately begin a replay. But something happened, and I do something different.

I enable Ironman mode. For the first time.

For those who know the implications of that, let that sink in. For the rest of you, let me explain: it is a widely held belief among the fan base that the only TRUE way to experience XCOM is to play it straight up, no reloads, every movement counts, IRONMAN! And this is the first time I've ever gone that route.

Well, not entirely true, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Bottom line, I realised I'm (deep breath)... a lazy gamer. I treat it as escapist indulgence. I play single player games on easy mode, and feel good about myself as I naturally bat my opponents around like a kitten with so much digital yarn. I realised I've tried to play Ironman games before, but quickly rage-quit (quietly, on my own, with no witnesses) and went back to my old ways. Not thinking twice about loading an old save for every missed rifle shot or being surprised by an alien around that particular corner. Reload, change tactics based on information I shouldn't have, and bash on to victory.

It's not just XCOM. I'd play any of the Civilization iterations and quickly re-start if another faction ever dared to finish a Wonder before me.

Is that healthy? Probably not (at least that's my first stab at analysis). I'd like to open that question up to the Board and we can "unpack that", as they say, as we move along (hopefully) with the discussion.

So, the point: I've got a game open in another browser. It's Ironman, on a difficulty level other than Beginner (okay, it's Veteran). I've been doing pretty well, lost a couple soldiers but I have a Sniper on Lieutenant and some quality NCO's. My last mission was even a flawless victory! But this last mission went south, fast.

My Corporal medic is in-and-out of Panic. The rookie I brought along to gain experience is alive but unconscious. My much touted senior Sniper needs to reload and doesn't have the high ground, and the rest of the squad is pretty spread out. I'm vastly outnumbered and outgunned (it's still very early in the game), and my time-specific mission to destroy the data relay ends in five rounds.

I am not going to salvage this one. Can't happen. This time, I'm going to lose.

I've got to find a way to bug out and keep those losses to a minimum. And rather than figure out damage control, I wrote this novel of a post.

I can't guarantee frequent posts or anything resembling consistency, but who wants to ride along as I try to grow as a gamer - nay -as a person?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Off to bed for me (gotta love the turn-based goodness), but, if there's interest, I'll try to update you all on who lives, and who dies. If nothing else, you'll witness a grown man descend into tears as he gets bested by pixels.

Tell me THAT'S not quality entertainment!
They say Hitler loved dogs; that doesn't mean I want to travel back in time and discuss the merits of the Border Collie with the guy. He's still an a-hole.

Messages In This Thread
Groo Tries To Grow As A Gamer - by Groo The Wanderer - 03-02-2018, 05:16 PM
RE: Groo Tries To Grow As A Gamer - by Kersus - 03-04-2018, 02:39 PM
RE: Groo Tries To Grow As A Gamer - by Kersus - 03-04-2018, 02:36 PM
RE: Groo Tries To Grow As A Gamer - by Kersus - 03-07-2018, 08:47 AM
RE: Groo Tries To Grow As A Gamer - by Kersus - 03-17-2018, 09:07 AM
RE: Groo Tries To Grow As A Gamer - by Kersus - 03-21-2018, 02:15 AM
RE: Groo Tries To Grow As A Gamer - by Kersus - 03-30-2018, 07:23 AM
RE: Groo Tries To Grow As A Gamer - by Kersus - 03-30-2018, 09:12 AM
RE: Groo Tries To Grow As A Gamer - by Kersus - 03-30-2018, 09:59 AM
RE: Groo Tries To Grow As A Gamer - by Kersus - 04-01-2018, 04:04 AM
RE: Groo Tries To Grow As A Gamer - by Kersus - 04-03-2018, 03:58 AM