Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ACT] Your last movie?
Ghostbusters (2016)

The all-female cast that sent internet dorks into a tizzy. imdb gives it a score of 5.4. I think that's a tad low and would place it closer to 6 but I'd have to be in a very good mood to give give it more than that. The problem wasn't the cast, it was the script. Or rather, the plot. The original Ghostbusters movie, after the set up, was, when you get right down to it, a mystery movie. Why has supernatural activity increased exponentially? Why are these weird things happening in Ripley's apartment? Who is responsible? It's Chinatown with ghosts; the more one investigates, the more questions appear. Ok, it's nothing like Chinatown, but you get the idea.

This movie isn't a mystery. We know who, we know how, we know why. Which leaves the story with not much more than banter (done very well), gadgetry (superfluous), f/x, and cameos.

2.75 "Big Double-yew"s (Points for naming the reference and explaining why I used it.)
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
Maybe I should pull out the Ghostbusters RPG again. Everyone always had fun when we played, but we never played often. I'm not sure why opther than I just didn't put together anything other than one-shots.

Big W makes Ghostbusters toys? Zuul was really an angry sheep? When cats & dogs sleep together, you get a ewe? I expect I'll smack my forehead hard when I find out.

Passengers http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1355644/

Chris Pratt was good. Jennifer Lawrence did okay. She was adequate. It's a pretty slow mediocre movie from start to finish. Just watch the trailer and you've seen every exciting moment. It is a neat idea with potential for a good movie and had the budget. Effects were stellar, but there wasn't that much for them to do. I wanted to like it.

2 Catkins (out of 5)
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Jimmy Durante talks about the money "under the big W" just before kicking the bucket and setting the plot in motion. The movie is known for its numerous cameos. Over 40 of them.

Had myself a Planet of the Apes marathon. As a marathon it gets 4/5 Dirty Paws. Individually:

Planet of the Apes (1968): 5 Novas
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970): A damn, dirty ape
Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971): 3 oranges
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972): 2.5 uprisings
Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973): Considering the budgets kept getting smaller with each subsequent movie, I don't feel bad rating this one 2 blood tears. Had this had been the result if made with Beneath's budget, it would receive only 1.
(02-22-2017, 08:56 PM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote: Ghostbusters (2016)

The all-female cast that sent internet dorks into a tizzy. imdb gives it a score of 5.4. I think that's a tad low and would place it closer to 6 but I'd have to be in a very good mood to give give it more than that. The problem wasn't the cast, it was the script. Or rather, the plot. The original Ghostbusters movie, after the set up, was, when you get right down to it, a mystery movie. Why has supernatural activity increased exponentially? Why are these weird things happening in Ripley's apartment? Who is responsible? It's Chinatown with ghosts; the more one investigates, the more questions appear. Ok, it's nothing like Chinatown, but you get the idea.

This movie isn't a mystery. We know who, we know how, we know why. Which leaves the story with not much more than banter (done very well), gadgetry (superfluous), f/x, and cameos.

2.75 "Big Double-yew"s (Points for naming the reference and explaining why I used it.)

Just watched it. McCarthy is bad. It's much as you say however I give it 2 stars for the 2 laughs. Ghost on her shoulder? That was a great scene. It's interesting at how quickly they developed the characters in the original and yet after this whole movie, the characters have almost no development. It also lacks any epic flavour but it does have numerous nods to the original plus, as you say, all the cameos. The screenplay is the core problem for sure.

Development may be the wrong word. "I collect spores molds and fungus" tells us a lot Smile

I've rewatched the original numerous times. I doubt I'll watch this one again.

Pete's Dragon (2016) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2788732/

I had low expectations however this movie was tremendous. The cast was fine and the soundtrack subtle. You can make out strings of music from "Somewhere Out There" about when the song reaches, "then we'll be together somewhere out there, out where dreams come true," BUT it isn't officially in the movie. The best that can be found is the composer's music was highly derivative.  Still, whether purposeful or not, the feeling those notes inspire is felt throughout this dramady.

A lot rests on the effects which IMO were great. Elliot was pretty awesome. This sappy movie is effective at making you laugh and cry while wishing you could have a dragon as a pet. It stays true to the Human factor, and by that I mean that as a group, Humans are stupid. The bigger the group, the more foolish they are.

It's hard to rate until I've seen it multiple times however I'd go with a 9/10 but if forced to use an /5 system, I'd jump to 5/5 Drakes.

My initial experience with the original was as a kid with an LP of it.  I think that when I did see the original, it seemed either too slow or too adult for me. It may be that I expected more animation as a kid. It's hard to remember now. ... ... ... I had a longer paragraph but for some reason it was filtered out...... I also didn't really like musicals.... Disney was free to watch Sunday nights anyway, until they decided to cash in on VHS and that segment was gone.

Keeping Up With the Joneses http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2387499/

It's a pretty good idea that was executed altogether mediocre. Galifianakis was irritating but Fisher had some brilliant moments and she sure is pretty. The rest of the cast was adequate. They did okay. The script was even okay. I think the film fails in direction as nothing had any real impact. It didn't build up tension and wasn't nearly as funny as it could have been. As well, if you saw the trailer, you knew the whole movie. Very predicatable, but could be remade into a better movie.

2/5 jumps through plate glass

Silent Hill: Revalation http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938330/

I'm a fan of the franchise and enjoyed this flick despite the flaws. The cast was good but the horror dampened and the metaplot watered down. I think this one plays more into the 3rd game where the first movie was a mashup of the first two with additional ideas. I didn't recognize Carrie-Anne Moss in this movie. Outside of Silent Hill fans, I'm not sure this movie would appeal to you.

3/5 mannequins

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

I'm going to have to read some Jane Austen.

4.5 Victorian age something-or-others
Jumper

I've seen it before and knew what to expect. A great idea, decent movie, but the lead was pretty awful. The support cast was near brilliant.

3/5 but one I'll watch again.

The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Mostly a 'meh' movie and where it isn't mediocre, the movie falls flat as Denzel's acting. He hit his high in 1991'a Ricochet but since then he's pretty much in the top 10 worst actors of all time. It gets a star for some of the support acting.

1 Guardian of the Galaxy out of 5