Poll: Choose one
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
ə
50.00%
1 50.00%
þ
0%
0 0%
ð
0%
0 0%
æ
50.00%
1 50.00%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Walkers, Cephalates, and Thropes
Still a work in progress, but here's some stuff.

Skin-Walkers - Skin-walking is shamanistic magic where practitioners don the skins of animals to assume their form. The magic is generally considered a step toward darker magics in most societies where it is practiced. Donning the skin of humans (including all player races) is always considered an evil practice regardless of the attitude toward skin-walking. The magic is not available to players.

Theriocephalates - Hybrids like minotaurs, centaurs, mermaids, sphinx, etc. These are races unto themselves, not the result of interspecies breeding.

Therianthropes/Shape-shifters - Shape-shifters are creatures of two (or more) forms. Mercedes Thompson is an example of a shape-shifter; whether in human or coyote form, she has the same intelligence and thoughts. In her stories, she's never in danger of losing herself to the animal. Although unlike shape-shifters, she thinks of herself as a human who can change shape, not as someone with both a human and coyote form (but that has been changing as her story progresses).

Still to come: Werewolves
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
(02-28-2015, 03:39 PM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote: Still a work in progress, but here's some stuff.

Skin-Walkers - Skin-walking is shamanistic magic where practitioners don the skins of animals to assume their form. The magic is general considered a step toward darker magics in most societies where it is practiced. Donning the skin of humans (including all player races) is always considered an evil practice regardless of the attitude toward skin-walking. The magic is not available to players.
Generally.

[Image: i071_th.jpg]
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
This post is all rredmond's fault.

Werewolves
S: d20
W: d12/d3
A: d12
D: 3
H: 75
Size: M
Special: see below

First, Lycanthropy is not an infection; it's a communicable curse. Wolfsbane and the like won't cure, prevent, or inhibit the curse. Second, as a curse, the victim is cursed, dammit. There's no gaining control of the wolf, no voluntarily affecting the change. There are no werewolf communities or packs. Third, Werewolves couldn't give two shits about vampires one way or the other, other than to try to tear its throat out, just like it wants to tear everyone's throat out. And lastly, regular weapons most certainly can harm werewolves.

Communicable - Just because the curse can be spread does not mean it spreads easily. Anyone attacked by a werewolf who is reduced to exactly a single point of Health must make a Resist W1 or receive the curse.

Curse - The curse is such that when transformed, the werewolf attacks and kills his children, family, friends, anyone else, in that order based on availability. A werewolf will not travel 10 miles to kill his child when there's a friend right in front of him, but will bypass a stranger to kill a cousin in the next room.

Vampires - Fucking teenagers with their complete lack of discernment and taste. Those books are not just bad stories, they're bad writing you emo shits. And don't tell me you aren't emo, you're goth, because you know what, kids who have to work for below-subsistence wages really don't care about your first-world problems. So the sooner you realize that it's not a case of nobody understands but a case of nobody cares, the sooner you can get over yourself. Yes, you're a special, unique snowflake, just like all the seven billion other special, unique snowflakes out there.

Damage - While regular, non-silver weapons can harm werewolves, the damage doesn't last. In combat, at the beginning of a werewolf's Turn, any damage from non-silver weapons is fully healed. So while it is possible for a mob of peasants to kill a werewolf, it's unlikely. Nota bene: the healing is only when in wolf form. Said mob will easily kill a suspected werewolf in natural form. Also, when killed, the corpse remains in the same form it was in at the time of death, so the only way one will know that beast was actually the poor Widow Brown is by her notable absence. Although it could have been the traveling Tinker and poor Widow Brown was just visiting her ailing sister in Ferristown, leading to a particularly brutal, and unjust, lynching when she returns.

It's the GM's option to allow a player to continue playing an affected character, but by no means should he ever be allowed to play the character when transformed. Also optional is the trigger for change. Some possibilities are the traditional full moon, nightly, the presence of a particular flower, or completely random.
[Image: the-office-pandawhale.gif]

Wasn't me. Wink
Awesome!

Let me clarify my position on the write up though, you had me at "the victim is cursed, dammit"!
Smile
Great stuff. The Vampire part is just icing on the cake!
(04-04-2015, 11:13 PM)rredmond Wrote: Wasn't me. Wink
Oh yeah? Then if lycanthropy is a curse, where's the target number for the Cure spell to eliminate the curse? Huh? What's the trigger to break the curse? You're supposed to be an editor. How in the world did such an incomplete and ill-conceived piece of work such as this ever get posted?
(04-11-2015, 09:39 PM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote:
(04-04-2015, 11:13 PM)rredmond Wrote: Wasn't me. Wink
Oh yeah? Then if lycanthropy is a curse, where's the target number for the Cure spell to eliminate the curse? Huh? What's the trigger to break the curse? You're supposed to be an editor. How in the world did such an incomplete and ill-conceived piece of work such as this ever get posted?

I must be a teenager... according to the write up that is.  Dodgy
So. Removing the curse. I have no idea. I mean, that's one helluva curse. Transforming into a wolf bent on the death of all the cursed holds dear is bad enough, but making it a vector (albeit with a low transmission rate) is something else. Add in the high survival rates in combat and we're talking a whole new level of nasty. This isn't something that goes away with a simple roll of 10 or better o.an a Cure spell; there had better be at least some chain-casting going on with maybe an exploding die or two. Something like a target number of 30 plus 5 for every person killed.

As for breaking the curse, a common belief is that striking them three times on the forehead with a knife with do the trick. True story. Stab, stab, stab. "Praise Jesu the Savior, son of God Almighty. You have been cured of your terrible curse, Reginald. May your soul rest in peace in his ever-merciful embrace." Also (very likely) a true story.

Now, I like the above scenario because it allows me to feel superior to so-called Christians with their superstitions and so-called faith that has absolutely nothing to do with the teachings of Christ. So much so that I'm creating a new rule. First: To break the werewolf curse, the werewolf, in wolf form, must be struck on the forehead on three consecutive attacks with a silver knife. That's three consecutive attacks, not three consecutive hits. That's also with a silver knife, not a silver sword or a silver arrow or three different silver knives striking consecutively. One silver knife, three consecutive successful strikes to the forehead on three consecutive attacks on the werewolf. If a fighter has two successful attacks in and someone shoots an arrow at the wolf, the fighter has to start all over again even if the arrow misses. And now:

New Rule:
Called Shots - An attack on a Called Shot is made with a -3 penalty. Note: Monsters do not have this penalty and there has to be a legitimate reason for making a Called Shot, the above lifting of the curse, for example, not because the player wants to munchkin-out and try to claim that striking the goblin's forehead causes blood to get into its eyes and now has to attack at a penalty. If players start this kind of crap, all monsters make nothing but Called Shots. Also note: There's no reason for players to look for an advantage with Called Shots because a body part cannot be disabled until all Health is gone. This also does not apply to monsters' attacks on players. A monster's Called Shot on any body part disables that body part on a successful hit no matter how little damage was done.
(04-22-2015, 07:52 PM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote: Also note: There's no reason for players to look for an advantage with Called Shots because a body part cannot be disabled until all Health is gone. This also does not apply to monsters' attacks on players. A monster's Called Shot on any body part disables that body part on a successful hit no matter how little damage was done.
I quite like this.