Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic Items
A quick internet search has left me amazed that no one has come up with this and put it online. Without further ado, here are two ill-conceived, hastily put together versions of a bad pun (which, if you think about it, is what makes fantasy rpgs worth the while).

Snail Mail (1)
This enchanted Mail armor (d8) prevents all physical damage to the wearer, regardless of the attacker's roll, except when the armor die rolls a 1, whereupon damage is assessed as usual (attack roll vs Defense). This enchantment comes at a cost, however, in that all initiative rolls result in a 1 while wearing the armor. (See, "Snail" Mail, because you're really slow. Like a snail.)

Snail Mail (2)
This enchanted Mail armor (d8) acts as normal Mail. However, the character wearing the armor can "retreat" into the armor. This entails magically withdrawing into the armor with everything the character is carrying, leaving behind a "shell" of great durability: All attacks against the shell at rolled against the character's Defense +7 (the Armor Die always rolls maximum). Do not include any bonuses due to Shields and the like, as they are inside the shell, but do include bonuses due to magic. It takes a Combat Turn to retreat into or emerge from the armor.

Code:
Man with sword and shield:

\__0__|
  |  |
  |
 / \
/   |

Same man withdrawn into Snail Mail (2):
 ____
/ ___ \
/ /   \ \
\ \_/ / /
\___/ /
(Again, it looks good in preview mode but like crap when posted. Is it my browser or the forum software?)
Note: The aforementioned internet search did come up with Snailplate, which is armor made from the shell of a Flail Snail, which is an incredibly stupid monster in that I'm pissed I didn't come up with it. But it really is kinda stupid. Unlike the Stalac-Mite, which is really cool and I stand firmly behind the concept.
Ə
Maybe I got it rite this time.

booklet
landscape

Join the scorn.

Messages In This Thread
Magic Items - by Oedipussy Rex - 04-07-2014, 07:04 AM
RE: Magic Items - by Oedipussy Rex - 08-14-2014, 11:47 AM
RE: Magic Items - by Oedipussy Rex - 08-15-2014, 02:05 AM
RE: Magic Items - by Oedipussy Rex - 04-24-2017, 08:19 AM
RE: Magic Items - by Oedipussy Rex - 01-03-2017, 02:10 PM
RE: Magic Items - by Oedipussy Rex - 05-04-2017, 06:19 PM