Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DT] Level Drain
There is an interesting thread on level drain at dragonsfoot and I wondered what you all thought of it?

As a player and/or GM. Is it overly harsh? 
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
The undead create an unthinking, irrational fear in people who believe in such things. What game mechanic can cause that fear in players of a game where a new character can be rolled up and ready to go in less than 10 minutes? The threat of taking away the thing that players cherish above all others: time. A level drain isn't a loss of abilities; it's the loss of the time invested in getting the character to that level. With a character death, one's time with the character is over, but one still has had all that time with the character. With a level drain, that time has been taken away.

Is it overly harsh? No. Level drain, like a dog's growl or a snake's rattle, is nature's way of saying, "Don't touch." But just like with growling dogs and rattlesnakes, some people just gotta touch anyway. They just can't help themselves.
Ə
Maybe I got it rite this time.

booklet
landscape

Join the scorn.
Should new players/characters have warning ahead of time?

nope.
Ə
Maybe I got it rite this time.

booklet
landscape

Join the scorn.
I know I dealt with it as a player but I don't really call the details (over 25 years ago). As a GM, I certainly had it happen to players. It did teach some fear. It's interesting to see a group of players from different backgrounds. Faced with a menace, the old-school guys make that decision - fight or flight; while the more modern and some thick headed old-schoolers just assume that if it's in the way, they can defeat it and if they don't gain something from it, the adventure is at fault.