Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DCC #81 "The One Who Watches From Below."
Hmmmmmm...

Eyes... yes, eyes...  AC 12 or 20 depending.... 6 hp.
Spying Eyes
Warrior d10; Sorcerer d10; Adventurer d10
Defence d3/d24(closed); Health 5(PCs)/2(NPCs); Size Tiny; Movement Painfully slow
Has -2 Character Points regardless of which creature eyes are on but can not use them while not dominating another creature. Can not cast spells, fight, or do much other than blink, move, and dominate. Dominates with a d10 vs target's Sorcerer Aspect (d12 vs Dwarves).

Hmmmm.... The eyes can take control of other creatures by winning an opposed Will save in DCC (think Will saves from 3e/D20 with no modifier for the eyes).... I guess that would be Sorcerer rolls?

So these things happen after a character is cursed, their eyes leave their body and can take on a new body by dominating it. They can not return to their own body until the curse is lifted. The eyes themselves slither around.

I'm re-reading Onanistic Hoodoo now to help convert this insert adjective adventure.

Rat Swarm is essentially the same except this one can hypnotize....
Halfling Hybrids
Laser Harpies
Eye Slime
Double Cockatrice
Giant Eyestalks
Giant Spider
Vilehund
Library Books
Proto-Hybrids
Halfling Hybrid Lord
Giant Acid Worms
Koe-bel, juvenile
Koe-bel, adult
Eyeless Gorilla
Negative Creep
Whateley
Wall of Eyes
Primordial Titan

When I'm done, I'll post a blog article with all the conversions if OR is okay with that. Very very very open to thoughts.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Halfling Hybrids

Warrior d8/d1; Sorcerer d2; Adventurer d6/d1
Defence 2/0; Health 15; Size Small
Mêlée with daggers, ranged with military darts. +2 Bonus to Adventurer Resist rolls and Initiative. Invisibility once per day. These are basically automatons for Spying Eyes to dominate.

Laser Harpies

Warrior d20/d1; Sorcerer d24; Adventurer d16/d2
Defence 3/0; Health 40; Size Medium
Mêlée with claws, ranged with laser eye.

Eye Slime

Warrior d24/d1; Sorcerer d2; Adventurer d2
Defence 1/0; Health 25; Size ?
Mêlée with pseudopod. Metal weapons striking it or metal armour struck by it may dissolve in 3 rounds (magical objects are immune). Roll a d2 for each item, on a one, disperse?

I'm concerned my monsters are too powerful for what will essentially be a set of 4-5 characters with 4 extra character points. Perhaps I should buff them a little more. They will each have one Joss.

Changing Klazath, god of war to Mellor, major deity of Engineering, Dependence, and War (flying fox symbol). I think it's supposed to be Dwarven and Mellor isn't really Dwarven however he's as close as my main deity list comes. Conversely it could be the minor deity Krondar (independence, war, order/revenge[strength]) or Klazath could become a minor deity of War, Greed, and Engineering.

Area 1-4

Warrior TN to break open the gate is 12 (DC 25) as is the Adventurer TN for picking the lock. Reaching the catch with a longsword, staff or something similar is a TN Adventurer 5 (DC 10). The idea being that only character above average can even attempt it.

1-5

Giant Spider
S d8; W d16/d2; A d16/Web
Surprise Adventurer Initiative roll is d30 with +1 Warrior rank to first attack (if it's surprise).
Web attack, 10' radius, successful opposed Adventurer rolls to avoid or immobolized for one round.

1-6

Climbing in pit requires an Adventurer TN of 6 (DC 15)

1-7

Secret Door finding is an Adventurer TN of 6 (DC 15)

2-3

Giant Eyestalks

Sd6; Wd24; Ad6
Defence: 4/d4; Health 55
+2 Warrior resist; +3 Adventurer resist

2-4

Liquid heals d6 Health once per character (never works again) and gives their hair and nails a nice shine.

2-11

S3 to read the runes

2-12

Gaze attack - W5 or turn to stone. Now what do I do with them? Perhaps this should be temporary paralysation.

Vilehund
Sd8; Wd10/d2; Ad16
D3 H10
Petrifying gaze.

2-13

Library Books
Sd4; Wd10/d1; Ad16; D2/0; H4

3-2

Proto-Hybrids
Sd4; Wd4/d1; Ad4; D1/0; H3
In this room they attack at d8.

3-4

Halfling Hybrid Lord
Sd12; Wd10/d1; Ad12/d1
Magic Cleaver +1 (to Warrior rank - d12 in this case). Military Dart.

3-4d

auto-kill

4-3

Giant Acid Worm
Sd2; Wd20/d1; Ad4/d1; D1/0; H33
Adventurer attacks are made at d30(+8). Acid touch and acid stream for attacks.

4-4

Stealth difficulty A1.

Eyeless Gorilla
Sd2 Wd12/d1 Ad10/d1
Bite and thrown stone. Sorcerer resist +3.
Special attack - backhand swipe d10/d1 knocks opponent back 4'/PoS, A4 or prone for 1 round.
If dominated (eyes), Warrior and Adventure are +2.

4-5

Koe-bel;, juvenile
Sd3; Wd10/d1; Ad8; D1/0; H28
Sorcerer resist +3.

Koe-bel, adult
Sd2 Wd20/d4 Ad12 D3/0 H40
Sorcerer resist +5. Uses tongue as a grapple attack to drown opponent. Look up grappling and drowning (or figure out drowning).

The more I do this, the more I think my conversions are out of whack.

4-6

Negative Creep
Sd24 Wd24/d3 Ad8
H70 D6

4-7

Whately (dark form)
Sd12/dominate Wd10/d1 Ad10 D2/0 H34

Halfling Hybrids (4)
Warrior d8/d1; Sorcerer d2; Adventurer d6/d1
Defence 2/0; Health 15; Size Small
Mêlée with daggers, ranged with military darts. +2 Bonus to Adventurer Resist rolls and Initiative. Invisibility once per day. These are basically automatons for Spying Eyes to dominate.

4-8

Blue Angel Wand - 1x/day Shield that protects target from d24 points of physical or magical harm. Slight acrid smell (rotten eggs) emanates from target while shield is on. When casts, may blind all who are watching for one round as a blue flame envelops the target - S2.

Sparklefang - Longsword d3/d10 or d30 vs Vampires - detects Vampires within 50' - leaves a trail of glitter when swung

Primordial Titan
Sd30+2 Wd20/d1 Ad30/S1 D3/0 H160
Warrior attack is a tendril whip or it may use a psychic scream via Adventurer that reduces Sorcerer rank by 1 until character rests. Sees all (invisibility, etc) and can use a powerful suggestion ability on one character per turn (opposed sorcerer) to decide one of their actions (eg. can either move or attack - not both).

Wall of Eyes
Sd12 Wd4 Ad8/ray D1/0 H48
Random eye ray each attack

Pretty much done, and we'll see how it goes.

After a few combat tests, I'm certain things aren't overpowered. I'm a little leary that the big baddies aren't intimidating enough to cause a party to flee or avoid.

Anyhow, the test happens Saturday. Running both Traveller and SCHWA. Two very different systems to keep in my head.

It went well. I had to supe up some of the monsters as they were waaay underpowered and make up the ones I forgot to convert. I'll post something more comprehensive as a blog.

An Orc with 3 d20 attacks is pretty imposing to the largest monsters. The Human (who died) but had Brigandine armour held off all but the biggest monsters. The Sorcerer (healer) was neutered early but ultimately wasn't essential. The Sorcerer (attack spells) failed so many times he couldn't really cast anymore. Beyond that they pretty much steamrolled the adventure and fled the climax before anything really bad could happen. They didn't really come out of the adventure with any real treasure.

Only three entered but they gained 3 more during the adventure. 3 Humans, 1 Orc, 1 Dwarf, 1 Half-Elf. Two Humans and the Half-Elf were experienced.

Archer (.5Elf), Warrior(Dwarf), Healer, Paladin, Barbarian(Orc), Wizard was essentially the crew at one point. They started with only the Barbarian, Healer, and Paladin. Lots of exploring and they were nailed by a few traps.