Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ACT] Your last movie?
Watched Baywatch again. The new one. With pebble, sorority guy, quantico and some other chicks. Loved it.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Star Wars: Rogue One

My thoughts on this movie can be summed up in one word: Why? Why did anyone think it necessary to tell the story of how the Death Star plans were stolen? Why were those Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher cgi abominations created? Why are the controls to the satellite dish way the fuck out on a platform? Why did they hire script writers who have never actually watched Star Wars?

There was no purpose to this film. All it did is create a giant plot hole.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
Why John Wick is a better franchise than Fast and Furious

Full disclosure: I've seen both Wick movies and plan on watching watching Chapter 3. I've seen maybe a total of one and three-quarters of F&F movies out of -- what is it now? Seven? Eight? I couldn't even make it all the way through the first one.

So, John Wick is an ex-assassin. His wife, for whom he left the business, dies of a terminal illness. John mourns his wife and loves his car and the puppy his wife had arranged for him to receive upon her death. A young punk kills the puppy and steal's John's car. Said punk happens to be the son of a local crime boss. Hilarity ensues. Along the way we learn about the classiness of the high-end criminal underground, focusing on five-star hotel, The Continental. In Chapter 2, the hilarity continues. We also learn that The Continental is just a part of a global enterprise. (Rome's hotel is run by the original Django, Franco Nero.)

The John Wick movies are over-the-top, hyper-violent, and completely unrealistic. And that's why they are better than Furious. The first movie was, simplistically, cop and robber flick. With each new installment the locations become more far-reaching and the "action" (and reliance on cgi) increases. And therein lies the problem. John Wick started with an outlandish premise and built a consistent world with consistent stories around that premise. Furious started with a somewhat realistic premise that keeps getting rewritten with each additional installment.
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

I had actually never seen this movie before. I figured it was about time. Next up: maybe Citizen Kane, Casablanca, or Gone With the Wind.
Thumbs Up 
Big Bad Mama (1974)
Angie Dickinson, William Shatner, Tom Skerritt

This was an unexpected joy. Big Bad Mama has been on my 'to see' list for some time in my attempt to see everything Shatner is in. When I noticed it on Amazon Prime I had my chance and expected little but this is a fun romp around with action, nudity, sex, sex, and violence. The happy go-lucky music along the way makes it almost comedic however while mostly light, it has some dark undertones. I enjoyed it and will watch it again.

Was it a result of the time or was it something that was very racy? It seems racy to me even now.

5/5

The Sting (1973)

Because it's good and I'm old.
Additional fun fact: Lonnegan's right-hand man was played by a guy who was in the same high school drama class as my uncle.
Justice League (2017)

I should have followed my instinct and turned it off the moment I saw Zach Snyder's name.
Fahrenheit 451 (2018)

I don't know what they were trying to do with this remake, but it didn't work for me. My recommendation is to stick with the 1966 Osker Werner/Julie Christie original. Michael Shannon was good, though.
Well, there's been many since I last posted.

Just now I watched Bleach (2018) live action based on the anime/manga and it was good, real good. I had some issues with the last couple combats however it flooded me with positive emotion and that makes it a winner. 4.5/5 if not a full 5 stars. I mean, I watched it subtitled and I normally hate that. It even made me pick up Volume 3 of the manga which I'd long discarded after being bored with it.

Also watched Gladiator. Not that Roman crap, the cool Diggstown style boxing one with a young Cuba Golding and that kid from Twin Peaks.

I think I saw that Thanos movie as well, oh and Prodigy (2018) was a fun Indie movie 4/5 stars. Downsizing (2017) was terrible. It's not even worth a Star. Absolute crap. It even made me message in engrish for a day.

Watched Hancock (2008) again. Still love it.

I'm pretty sure I didn't much care for I Kill Giants (2017).