Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ACT] Your last movie?
No Pam Grier puns. Blacula wanted Pam's help because, as a newly ascendant Voodoo Priestess, she had the power to remove his curse.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
Sad 
She busted him out?

So, I had a night alone and decided to watch Sinister ****

The trailer interested me but the premise sounded stupid.  Well, I ended up with a thrill a minute that's just a little terrifying. It was more effective in that the sound effects from the movie were felt throughout the house. Footsteps sounded behind me, base vibrated the cat tree, etc......  It was all around me. The acting was solid however it was in the visuals where the movie stood dauntingly. The story concept seems silly at first but evolves into pure dread. There is a small scapegoat to remove yourself from the movie and the protagonist takes a little too long to act IMO, but man, the visuals and use of shadows is perfect.

The sound at the start of the movie freaked my cat right out and much of the rest of the movie she just stared at me.

Good times.

Exclamation
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
"She busted him out?"

What? And spoil the ending? Fun fact: Craig T. Nelson had a bit part.
----------------

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Deserving of all the accolades it received. Five out of Five Quatros. (Because Suzi is playing as I type and I like using five fours.) (Another fun fact: Suzi Quatro got the role of Leather Tuscadero, Pinky's cousin, because the cast of Happy Days didn't like Roz Kelly. The didn't dislike her [Roz], they just didn't like her. So Roz is out, but now they need to explain the disappearance of Fonzi's great love. I mean, it's not like she's Chuck.)
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story *****

The best Bruce Lee movie I've seen and he's not in it. Caveat, I haven't seen many and I saw this movie multiple times over the years. It's still awesome. 5/5 Catkins

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A slow moving Charlie Kaufman stop motion animation with 3D printed puppets based on a play and funded through kickstarter.

It was intriguing and the animation was a combination of disturbing and fun. The movie contains full nudity and a pretty vapid sex scene.

Some type of comment on the Human condition in generic Indie movie format. This is one of the better Indie movies I've seen in feel but lacked any real payoff - however that's a staple of Indie movies I think.

Spoiler to highlight - I guess it talks about how we make things around us the same. We seek something different and then dislike it when it becomes homogenized into our life. 

2.5/5

The Equalizer

Well, it was written pretty good and the shooting was adequate. Post production did what they could. The support cast was great. It didn't really resemble the source material well, and Denzel was Denzel. He did what he does, which is read lines and stare. He was fairly dreadful. Still, it was worth watching for the nostalgia of a great TV show concept.

3/5

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

"Goddamned JJ Abrams." Seems like I say that every time I something he's involved in. In Star Trek into Darkness, it was Spock chasing Cumberbatch through the hoverstreets of San Francisco. Why? It breaks from the character and does absolutely fuckall for advancing the story. Godamned JJ Abrams. In MI:RN the scene is the swim when the robotic arm knocks Cruise for a loop. First off, what the hell? A "saltwater-cooled, underground computer storage"? That can only be entered by a two meter wide, small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port that leads directly to the reactor system? Oh wait, that last part's from Star Wars. Still, Goddamned JJ Abrams. Not only was the scene unrealistic and unnecessary, adding nothing to the story, but it wasted time trying to be dramatic and suspenseful when it should have been clever and deceptive. You know, like Mission: Impossible.

I can watch movies and accept the world as presented. I have no problem with someone who wears a size 8 hat pulling off a .5 cm thick mask to reveal someone who wears a size 10. I can even accept Tom Cruise as an action hero. Suspension of disbelief is not beyond me. But c'mon, you need to keep the disbelievable suspendable.

Two and a half goddamns.
Heh, Rogue Nation wasn't overly memorable to me until you mentioned that scene.

Just watched Bone Tomohawk (2015).

My word.... It was, as expected, slow and droning. Less about an actual story and more about how people are during a story that might have happened. Everyone was good and the concept solid, but it was a little gory while eating lasagna. Lasagna and disembowelment do not mix well. Some of the gore was off screen and that worked really well for the film and it's slow plodding pace, but later it's right in front of you. It may even be worth turning away. The film goes pretty far to show the brutality of North American Indians while also separating these specific people from those people in general.

So it's hard to judge as the actors did their parts well and the screenplay seemed to desire a very low, dark, and dreary pace - with which it succeeded. Overall I would never watch it again but it served it's purpose

3/5 rotting catkins

Under the Skin

Some weird festival style movie about a woman preying on men who may or may not be an alien (or the accumulated power of women all over the world). It has a nice background feel with plodding music which is a mix of creepy and pleasant. It supposedly contains adlibbed conversations. Mostly, it's a naked Scarlett Johansson who, even fully clothed, is pretty darn sexy. In this film, her body is more a piece of art than a sexual object.

It's a little bit of an inkblot film where women's right's activists see her as a message against vilence vs vemon  - but it's nothing of the sort when i view the inkblot. It shows the immense power women have always held.

All in all, it was neat. Nothing I'd watch with friends, but a movie I'd watch again.

4 Catkins

Deadpool

Twice.

Enjoyed it both times.

I read an online article a few years back that tried to make the argument that Rob Liefeld was actually a creative genius. Just look at the great stories in "Prophet" and the popularity of Cable and Deadpool. That premise was completely destroyed in the comments section where someone wrote, "Rob Liefeld is a genius because his books become popular after they've been turned over to different writers and artists?" Or something like that. It's these other writers who turned a cheap Deathstroke knock-off into the three-dimensional two-dimensional, four-colour funny book character we know today. Liefeld is a hack who has done nothing to improve his craft in 20+ years. His writing and art is just as execrable today as it ever was. Thank goodness he had nothing to do with the movie.

Five of five dismembered Francises.