Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Boil an Egg and other simple recipes
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

Yes, anyone can make a PBJ; spread peanut butter on a slice of bread, spread jelly on another slice of bread, slap the two slices of bread together. That's not what this post is about. This post is about how to make a PBJ when the first ingredient on the jar of peanut butter is peanuts and the second ingredient is Warning: Contains peanuts. This makes for a nigh inedible, well, anything. So, to make an edible PBJ with inedible PB spread honey on a slice of bread, spread the peanut butter over the honey then continue as usual. Note: Do not put honey on top of the peanut butter. Putting the honey directly on the bread means the bread absorbs the honey. Putting the honey on the peanut butter means the honey squeezes out between the impermeable layers of peanut butter and jelly, making a mess.
Ə
Maybe I got it rite this time.

booklet
landscape

Join the scorn.
What about that peanut butter that settles with an inch of oil at the top and actually tastes like peanuts instead of peanut butter?

As for the sandwich, I take the piece of chocolate (usually dark), dip it into crunchy-only peanut butter because smoothy is for sissies, eat and then follow with a spoonful of honey directly into my mouth because sandwiches are work. The honey must come directly from an apiary, preferably the darkest available.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Quesadillas

Heat a pan over high heat. Add a little vegetable, corn, or olive oil to the pan and spread it fairly evenly. Very little oil. You need just enough for a very light coating on both sides of a tortilla. Place a tortilla in the pan and spin it to coat one side with oil then flip it over and repeat. You can use either corn or flour tortillas. Flip the tortilla every 10 to 15 seconds until it forms "bubbles." (The tortilla starts to separate from itself.) Turn the heat to low and spread a coating of shredded cheese on top of the tortilla. You can use pre-shredded cheese or shred it yourself. You can use cheddar, colby, "jack", or even pre-packaged "Mexican" style or "Quesadilla" cheese. Hell, you could use Swiss and Gouda if you really wanted to. Cover the pan and let sit for one minute. Remove the lid and fold the tortilla in half, cheese on the inside. Remove from the pan and cut into wedges, if desired. Sometimes I don't even bother. Serve as is or with salsa and/or sour cream.

Options: Amongst other items, before folding you could add leftover taco meat, refried beans, jalapeños, chopped onion, chopped tomato, black olives, and/or chopped peppers.

(The oil may not be necessary, but it helps to heat the tortilla evenly and create a crispy shell.)
Ə

booklet
landscape

Join the scorn.
(09-03-2017, 12:12 PM)Kersus Wrote: What about that peanut butter that settles with an inch of oil at the top and actually tastes like peanuts instead of peanut butter?

Yeah, that's the peanut butter I'm talking about. But without all the things that make peanuts edible, like salt. Or sugar. Or hydrogenized vegetable oil. Or almost anything that isn't a peanut. This may be news to you, but plain peanuts really don't taste good. Even Southern 'muricans who swear by boiled peanuts don't eat plain boiled peanuts.
Ə

booklet
landscape

Join the scorn.
Not a recipe, but a method.

How to peel a banana. In a diagram that looks good in a text editor using a fixed width font but looks horrible in my browser, at least:
Code:
 _
| |<- stem. DO NOT peel from here
/   \
|   |
|   |
|   |
|   |
\_/

Instead, turn the banana right-side up and peel from there. This method provides a handle, peels more easily, and leaves all those stringy things (there's a name for them but I can't remember) on the peel, not the fruit.

Code:
 _
/ \<- insert thumbnail here and peel
|   |
|   |
|   |
|   |
\   /
|_|<- hold here
Ə

booklet
landscape

Join the scorn.
A Better Salad

What you need:
1 head of broccoli
1 head cauliflower
1 medium to large sweet onion, yellow will do
1 red onion
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
8oz fresh mushrooms
1 bottle of your favorite Italian salad dressing
1 large bowl with seal-able lid (I use a large Tupperware bowl)

What you do:
* Cut the florets off the broccoli and cauliflower and place in the bowl
* It's your choice to chop the stems and also use them in the salad. The stems are more nutritious than the florets
* Chop the onions and peppers into bite-sized chunks and place in the bowl
* Slice the mushrooms. Place in bowl
* Pour salad dressing over the vegetables
* Put the lid on the bowl and shake, mixing the vegetables and coating with the salad dressing
* Refrigerate at least six hours, shaking regularly.
Ə

booklet
landscape

Join the scorn.
Boiled Water

Yes, I am serious. I am going to assume everyone knows how to boil a pot of water on a stovetop or in a tea kettle. This is how to get boiling water in a microwave:

*Put desired amount of water in a microwave safe container
*Place a bamboo skewer, toothpick, stir stick, or some other microwave-safe item in the water
*Microwave for 1 minute per cup of water (1000 watt)

By placing a foreign object in the water you provide a point of nucleation for the water to phase from liquid to gas (form bubbles, a.k.a. boil), preventing superheating. Those stories you've heard about water heated in the microwave blowing up and inflicting second degree burns to the victim's face? Likely bullshit. A cautionary tale greatly exaggerating the dangers. But just because superheated water requires an unlikely confluence of conditions to occur doesn't mean we can't take simple measure to prevent those conditions.
Ə

booklet
landscape

Join the scorn.
Leftover Hamburger Patty

So you decided to grill out and overestimated everyone's appetite. Now you have a char-grilled hamburger sitting in the fridge. Fear not. It isn't necessarily fated to be used as a hockey puck.

1. Take a sheet of paper towel, run water over it, and squeeze most of the water out. You want a wet paper towel that does not drip.

2. Flatten the paper towel then fold it in half. Place the cold hamburger patty on one side of the paper towel, and fold the other half over the burger. You should have a wet paper towel that's been folded twice, once "vertically" and once "horizontally" with a hamburger inside.

3. Place the burger in the microwave and cook on high for 20 seconds. Flip the burger over (you can flip the entire thing; there is no need to unwrap the burger then rewrap it). Cook for another 20 seconds.

4. Let the burger rest for a minute or so then cook for another 20 seconds.

5. Test the temperature of the burger and cook for another 20 seconds if necessary. Depending on the thickness of the burger this step may need to be performed several times. If the towel becomes too dry, re-moisten it.

What this method does is heat the water, which then heats the burger evenly instead of the microwave heating the burger directly, which is never done in an even manner. It will not produce a moist, juicy burger. That ghost left 30 minutes after taking the burger off the grill. But it does produce an edible, reheated burger.
Ə

booklet
landscape

Join the scorn.