Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ACT] What shows have you been watching?
Supergirl

I'm about midway through the first season, and still (I think) prior to CW taking it over and adding it to Arrowverse (sort of).

I want to like this show. I keep coming back to it. I think they cast Kara okay although the whole DEO think is a little gay. I love the Martian Manhunter in this although he has some of the same problems as the other characters. Red Tornado was a bust. The musclebound jock Jimmy Olsen doesn't work for me, nor the lack of his pasty white freckled face. He shouldn't be handsome. I tire of the computer geeks that can do the impossible in every show. Hey, make the geeks awesome, but research what they can do please. The show is very matriarchal. The villains are women as apparently are all the powers that be on Krypton (good and bad). Supergirl's origin makes about as much sense as sending a second Terminator back through time.

I can forgive much of that. The effects are decent despite the fight choreography being pretty ridiculous and the budget seems ready to make things work.

What I struggle to deal with is how every character makes random decisions that fly in the face of any previous development. From episode to episode the writers toss away any semblance or verisimilitude. No one does things that jive with the character development thus far. Everything just exists (from props to banter) to drive some meaningless story forward. Meaningless is also the other important thing. Few things have any merit. The reveal of the Martian Manhunter was easily the most powerful scene so far, but none of the actions of that character make sense leading up to the reveal. Everything is just to throw you off. Act evil and you're good. Act good and you're evil. It becomes a predictable bait and switch.

Superman's addition thus far has been perfunctory.

DC is all about cities. "This is my city!" I guess we accept that.

I hope the series gets better once CW takes over. I'll ride out the first season and the second season's premiere and then give a verdict.

---

I'm also enjoying the second punny season of Lucifer despite it's Supernaturalesque view of heavens and hell. Blasphemy can be funny. Smile

I have been waiting for the right time to try Lethal Weapon. I couldn't get through the first episode of MacGyver. The newest Dirk Gently is a little too ADD for me. I really liked the previous BBC version. I have not read the books and didn't like Shada. I did however really enjoy the recent Dirk gently comics from IDW. You see, I bought a Douglas Adams book to read when it came out.... Or maybe it was a gift. Regardless, it was the second DG book and at the time I thought I'd wait until I got the first book, but it never happened. By the time Internet and Amazon rolled around, I forgot about it.

I snagged The Lost Room miniseries to watch again and see if I like it as much as when it first aired.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--

Messages In This Thread
RE: What shows have you been watching? - by trp - 04-15-2014, 10:52 AM
RE: What shows have you been watching? - by trp - 04-16-2014, 10:00 AM
RE: What shows have you been watching? - by trp - 06-09-2014, 02:43 AM
RE: What shows have you been watching? - by trp - 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM
RE: What shows have you been watching? - by trp - 11-17-2014, 10:50 AM
RE: What shows have you been watching? - by trp - 03-01-2015, 09:49 AM
RE: [ACT] What shows have you been watching? - by Kersus - 12-01-2016, 06:06 AM