Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HackMoor 2018/08/30 Alt-Grok and Honda Fall
Games are on Thursday nights sometime after 6:30PM at World's Best Comics, 9714 Warwick Blvd Newport News, Virginia 23601.

We had an extra large meat lover's pizza, rather than remove pepperoni for our intransigent pepperoni hater, I had them put the pepperoni only on one half of it.

PART 1.

++++ START OF SESSION ++++

Disclaimer, due to separation of party members by event sequencing, there are unreported elements of this session.

While the Wish is still being worked on, it entails retrofitting Jacko to be a maximized multiclass, which I view as no big deal.  

The party was still in the mushroom forest following the trail of the thief who stole their most precious magic items.  I explained the trail got dusted over after the last battle with the Roper and the party had found two exits the one leading to the Roper and the one they had skipped.

Meanwhile I introduced the new Player as character Zamon, a fifth level Thug that happens to be a survivor from last year's Blackmoor Dungeon Festival.  If you recall the summary from two weeks ago I had introduced him after the Roper's battle had dusted over the tracks they were following.  No, his tracks were not the same tracks.  This did not prevent Jacko from shooting him in the back on first discovery, a second time even while in the surrender posture.  Having confirmed Zamon was not the thief they were looking for, he was allowed to join the party.  And of course this was before the Battle with the Ettin at the other entrance/exit.

Also as a side note unreported last week.  The Party encountered 4 random Hell Hounds but they recognized Zamon as they had all been living in the mushroom forest for over a year, and were kept as his pets.

(Based on the map that went with the adventure, these exits were 80 feet wide.  A copy provided with this post.  This map includes the previous encounter and battle with the Pyrohydra and Minotaur Lizards.)

Aerys decided to scout out the beyond the entrance.  She flew out overhead

Meanwhile the new character Zamon, volunteered to do the same thing and went the same way on foot.

Aerys returned and reported back that the path branched out in two directions.  One path led to a 400 foot waterfall, the other led to a warm water mineral pool.  AND that she decided to go to the mineral pool and take a bath.  So she grabbed her soap and a towel and flew back.

Zamon was still out.

While the party was waiting, Aery's to bathe, the rest of the Party were surprised by an attack by three Spirit Nagas.  They appeared out of nowhere, giving up their invisibility spell to strike.  Being smarter than most monsters, the Nagas skipped the two dozen dwarves and went straight to the Party's central core.  Deciding randomly they struck Huang, Honda, and Grok.  (We didn't have a playing piece for Grok because his Player was absent.  However I had and unpainted but primed exact duplicate, for this purpose, we call him Alt-Grok.)

Since these were surprise attacks.  The monsters struck first.  The one that struck Huang hit, but Huang is immune to poison and was saved.  Alt-Grok was struck next and he failed his saving throw, dying immediately as was Honda.

Honda's Player announced that Honda was not dead, and that he was going to play a card.  (These are the Official HackMaster cards that give Player's benefits such as a free Raise Dead or something as mundane as .25 Intelligence increase, or removing a trap.)

So I asked, "Where's the card?"

The Player says "It's at home.  But it doesn't matter, I'll bring the card next week."

"Yes it does."

Then another Player assisted by saying:  "That's like having a flat tire and saying not to worry, only to find out you left your spare tire at home."

So I deferred.  Noting that if Honda gets raised from the dead, it will have to occur next session.  Knowing there was another encounter coming.

Meanwhile Splish, splash, while Aery's was taking a bath.

Otherwise the Party defeated the Spirit Nagas.  The one that failed on Honda realized its mistake and went for the next character in line, Jacko and nearly broke a tooth.  The Party got its return strikes and defeated the three Nagas before they could kill anyone else.

After the battle Zamon returned reporting the same thing about the split path.

As he was making his report, creatures were approaching from the same entrance that Aerys and Zamon had just scouted.  10 Hell-Hounds, 5 Trolls, 2 Fire Giants, (you could almost add a Partridge in a Pear tree.)

And no, these Hell Hounds are not the same clan as Zamon's Hell Hounds.

I declared this battle will be fought next week.

++++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR ++++

BT

BBBB

PART 2.

++++ CHARACTER ROSTER ++++

CHARACTERS
Zamon, a fifth level Thug.
Grok the Dwarf, a third level WitchRanger (Battlemage subclass of Magic User).
Aerys, an Elvariel, a Fingersmith (Thief class).
Baronet Huang - a Master of the West Wind of the Stone Tiger Order, (Monk class).
Numrendir - a human Conjurist (a Conjuror, Magic User subclass)
Junkbot Jackson - a human Tracker/Friar (a Ranger 5th and Cleric 6th level).

Jacko, an Albino Dork Elf, a Master Espion (Infiltrator, subclass of Thief).

Serena 2.0 - First Level Battle Mage Second (a Protege of Jacko).

NPCs/Proteges:
Baronetess Honda - a Human Datai Samurai, Steward of Catan (formerly Temple of the Frog)
Gnomex, a Gnome Adept of Geardal Ironhand (Cleric class.)
Tanzen - a Fae-Born first level Exciter. (Fourth level Invoker, a Magic User subclass).
Fundisha - a half-Elf Swordsperson/Tout (Fighter and Infiltrator, a Thief subclass).

CAPTURED CHARACTERS (both PCs and NPCs)
Gerry Castagere, human Fingersmith, (Thief class) and ever loving devotee of Elefus, abandoned to the Blood Cult in the City of Brass on the Plane of Fire.

MISSING/OFFLINE/RETIRED CHARACTERS
Count Elefus, a human Abbot of Heimdall (Cleric class).  RETIRED
Felipe the Dwarf, a third level Sigil (Chosen One subclass of Cleric).

Sir Weasel, human Guild Soldier, Warlock, & Champion (Thief, Magic User, & Fighter classes) he stayed back in BlackMoor.
- and nine Pilgrim henchmen of various levels. (They wear hoodies.)
Slade Wilson - Dwarven Professional (a Bounty Hunter, Fighter subclass) Left behind at Catan.

BT

BBBB

++++ RECORD KEEPING ++++

PART 3.

This is also posted on three forums, and a blog.
http://blackmoor.mystara.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=76
http://www.furiouslyeclectic.com/forum/f...php?fid=13
http://www.kenzerco.com/forums/forumdisp...ster-Tales
http://furiouslyeclectic.com/hackmoor/
http://empire.openmpe.com/empire/
BT

NNNN

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tracy Johnson

BT

NNNN
C'mon, man. Mineral Lake? Not Darin lake? You were almost there. Aerys could have been attacked by a subterranean shark with its teeth, babe, and dragged through a lazy underground river to beyond the sea.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
(09-04-2018, 04:57 PM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote: C'mon, man. Mineral Lake? Not Darin lake? You were almost there. Aerys could have been attacked by a subterranean shark with its teeth, babe, and dragged through a lazy underground river to beyond the sea.

Beginning of session disclaimer takes precedence.

Actually, according to the module, it is supposed to be a boiling pool with 1d6 damage per round.  But the party doesn't know that, and the Player could be lying in the report.  

Additionally if the character really took a bath, I'm presuming the character is smart enough to hand bathe at the edge of the pool.

The point of the story is the unreported 10 Hell Hounds, 5 Trolls, 2 Fire Giants that rushing down the same passage to the main party.  (And who knows what else?)

Why did Aerys not report them?

Why did new character Zamon not report them?

I'm half expecting the party to NOT notice this anomaly in the timeline.

See line 1.
Tracy Johnson

BT

NNNN
Nevermind me. I'm still upset about the whole Marc Bolan/Ettin thing. Personally, I would have gone with Chuck Barris, who was a successful songwriter in his own right. Not on the level of Marc or Bobby, but they didn't introduce the world to the Unknown Comic or Gene Gene the Dancing Machine. Or the Dating Game. Or the Newlywed Game. You know, come to think of it, what did Marc Bolan or Bobby Darin ever actually contribute to society except a few pretty songs? Chuck Barris gave us, "Where is the kinkiest place you've ever made whoopie?" "I don't know. In the butt?"
I'm not worried, the message deserved a reply.  I just linked Zager and Evans "In the Year 2525" in a school homework reply about someone's post about Alexa.

Speaking of which I just noticed there is no cancel button once you have started a reply.  You either have to finish it or click the big X on the upper right of your browser.
Tracy Johnson

BT

NNNN
(09-05-2018, 02:17 PM)tmjva Wrote: Speaking of which I just noticed there is no cancel button once you have started a reply.  You either have to finish it or click the big X on the upper right of your browser.
Just don't submit. I start many a reply and decide not to post it and go about my regular browsing habits by either closing the tab or going to the previous page.