Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ACT] Your last movie?
I'll take your word for Porky's II. Shape of Water was fun. I've been hmming and hawing about Iron Sky: The Coming Race btu wondered if I better see the first one... first.

Birds of Prey: A Day in the Life of Harley Quinn (2020)
Let me count the ways it sucked.

1) Sluggardly pacing.
2) Constant running back a few days or weeks in time feeling like the movie never moves forward.
3) Desexualized women. Heaven forbid they look decent.
4) Awkward bad guy - although well acted, it felt more like a joke that wasn't meant to be a joke. Ewan did fall in and out of character a bit as did his accent.
5) You could sum up the depth of the plot as "resentful woman walks down street has big fight with other resentful women at her side against incompetent men"
6) Almost like watching an accident. You can look away but part of you thinks eventually you'll see something interesting.
7) Drops out of continuity.
8) Is NOT Birds of Prey. Is a day in the life of Harley Quinn.
9) Action choreography and post-production seemed out of synch.
10) Why!?!?

The final scene wasn't too bad. I did laugh a couple times and Rosie Perez totally worked hard to downplay her voice. I think Rosie was probably the best part of the movie.

Also watched

Spencer: Confidential(2020)
B version of Jack Reacher filled mostly with poor acting, directing, cinematography. Here we have a basic paint by numbers action/mystery. Predictable, slow but not totally without merit. It had a good soundtrack.

Overboard (1987)
I have a soft spot for this RomCom. I mean, when it came out I was enthralled by Goldie Hawn.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Ip Man (2008) Donnie Yen
Based on the true story of Ip Man, the gold-standard of Kung Fu flicks. Unfortunately the version I watched had subpar subtitles and no subtitles for on-screen text. Fortunately, it didn't matter.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
Deathstalker (1983)
80s barbarian goodness. The final build to the climax was... Anticlimactic but overall I quite enjoyed this gem.

Ghostship (2006)
This little oddity was viewed because I played in a game of Chill 1e that used it as the source material. I went into it expecting a horrible movie. Instead I saw a decent potential filled direct to TV storyline that is a little undeveloped. Based on a book it's about a WW2 British sub that disappeared in the Northern Devil's Triangle and reappeared in the height of Cold War 80s. A lone survivor from the war has amnesia and is taken aboard.

And just watched Academy award winning Helen Hunt in (as Elvira puts it, the entrancing):

Trancers (1984)
I saw this as part of "13 Nights of Elvira" so she has commentary during it. This was always presented to me as some sort of classic. Elvira did make it more titillating. It was also nice to see the good ol' 80s. Unpleasant dreams.

(05-27-2020, 12:18 AM)Kersus Wrote: And just watched Academy award winning Helen Hunt in (as Elvira puts it, the entrancing):

Trancers (1984)
I saw this as part of "13 Nights of Elvira" so she has commentary during it. This was always presented to me as some sort of classic. Elvira did make it more titillating. It was also nice to see the good ol' 80s. Unpleasant dreams.

Tim Thomerson for the win! When I grow up, I want to be Tim Thomerson. Him or Brion James.
Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat (1989) Deborah Foreman, David Carradine, Bruce Campbell, M. Emmet Walsh

I still have a crush on the Valley Girl.

Okay. Speaking of Valley Girl, "they" have done a remake and Deborah has a cameo in it, the first acting she's done in over 20 years. That's still not enough to entice me to watch it. I just can't see how the remake can be anything but a pale shadow. It's a very simple, very old story that's been done many times. But what made Valley Girl (1983) work was the music. What in the last twenty years, with all the corporatizing and homogenizing of music, can come close to "Melt With You"?
I had a huge crush on Elizabeth Daily and watched Valley Girl (83) for her. Is the new one worth it?

Sundown is IMO a classic.

Just watched Top Secret (1984).

Ip Man 2 (2010) Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung

All the Ip, twice the Man.
Close (2019) Noomi Rapace, Olivia Jewson, Indira Varma

Noomi was good, Olivia was there, and Indira is as fantastic as the first time I ever saw her on the screen.
Armstrong (2017) nobody of note
Not a particularly good movie, but not awful. At 84 minutes it's short, to its benefit.