Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ACT] Your last movie?
Guardians Of The Galaxy: Loved it.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Runner Runner. Ben Affleck and that Dick in a Box Guy. Justin Timberlake, that's it. It was a'ight. They've both done worse. They've both done better.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
Moonrise Kingdom - This fabulously quirky movie tickled me. Perhaps a little slow, the oddity of it felt right. Similar in feel to Life Aquatic but slower moving. 4/5

47 Ronin - This fantasy version of the original story/legend/history stands up very well. Keanu Reeves seems weak at times but it doesn't take away from the movie enough to worry. The rest of the cast is excellent. The tale was brilliantly written and the effects snapped into place with dynamic precision. I truly enjoyed this from beginning to end. It has made me pick up my "Roninhood of the 47 Samurai" graphic novel again. This movie brings an inspired tale that illuminates us about Japanese history and their heroes. I think such interpretations brought into the mainstream aid us in understanding the world a little bit better. 4.5/5

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
I liked it better than I thought I would. I expected to like it, but I also expected to have scenes that went on far too long. There were scenes that could have been edited down with no issue, but at no time did I yell at the screen to just get on with the story. I did have many moments of utter confusion. Granted, it's been awhile since I read the book, but I don't remember combat with the trolls or visiting Rivendell or the backstory between Thorin and the orc or ... . Still, I enjoyed the movie.
Yeah, while it's in the name of expanding the LOTR appendices, sooo much liberty is taken with the story. I'll never understand why we take out solid parts of a book to save time and then add completely unnecessary new crap that's irrelevant. I enjoyed it as well. Plus it's not the LOTR without Legolas appearing and surfing on land. Doesn't he do that in every movie?

Escape Plan - It was a pretty foolish action romp with little meat. While utterly predictable it has a fun ending and overall was worth the price of free. 3/5

Perhaps we should do a collaborative blog of movie reviews?

I think Escape Plan is the first time I've seen Schwartzenegger speak German in a movie. But yeah, it's a big budget movie with a direct-to-video script.
Dark City starring Rufus Sewell (of the Zen Mysteries fame), Jennifer Connelly (of I'd-hit-it fame), Keifer Sutherland (of Donald's kid fame), and William Hurt (of Holy-Crap.-How-did-they-get_William_Hurt? fame). An atmospheric, sci-fi noir mystery movie that had very little discovery and a lot of expositional dialogue from Keifer's character. The movie could have been over in 15 minutes, opening and closing credits included, had they front-loaded all of his dialogue. Still, it had some pretty cool special effects and plenty of atmosphere. Worth a rent.
Rage - It struggles to find timing all movie and misses on many accounts. It feels like the director just didn't have a clue. Tense but frustrating. 1/5

Filth - Touted as a love or hate flick, it seems to accomplish it's goals and was well done. The climax was a little too much "shock" for me but the rest of the flick was intriguing. A well executed movie I wish I had not watched. 3/5