Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[P&R] Prayer
How much of prayer could simply be psychologically healthy for us instead of actually conversing with some power?

I'm not talking about whether some power exists or whether you're conversing, I'm simply curious as to your thoughts on whether it's helpful from a simply Psychological perspective and if there could be some Human psychological basis for that power in having it's followers pray a certain way.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
I'm not 100% sure I believe in psychology. I use the term colloquially, but not so much in reference to any science. As soon as I hear a system for doing some such thing (whether trading stocks or sales or an RPG) incorporates psychology, I know it's going to be wonky.

As to prayer, I believe it has physiological affects. When I practiced yoga, I noticed the poses and transitions were designed to induce some very busy physiological responses from the body. Although not quite as exacting as yoga, Western prayer does have elements in common with yoga--clearing the mind, focus, and breathing--that do consistently produce some physiological affects.

Focused breathing alone has some pretty profound affects on the body. I recently read an article wherein it is theorized that yawning serves a function of regulating brain temperature. I know when I was going through vocal training, we used yawns as the very best form of stretching all the muscles that need loosening for singing.
Perhaps the word psychology wasn't used correctly by me. I'm thinking more in terms of method. A causes B. I smell rain and it calms me. I see a bee and I freeze in panic.

I wonder if the basic Christian prayers create peace through unburdening stress onto a being that is believed to have power over what people feel powerless toward.

Meditation helps, to be sure. I always felt that yawns relaxed me. I was taught to yawn before an interview.

I don't personally actually see the brain as different from the body. I understand people as having four parts including the body, mind, emotion, and gut. Our physical body, including the brain and heart functions. The mind being our self awareness, sense of self, and control over actions. Emotion being the feelings, knee-jerk thoughts, as something that has highs and lows and floats around like a crazed dog. Gut being some internal, built in wisdom and intuition.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--