Poll: Mmmmm
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Tomatoes
0%
0 0%
Green Beans
0%
0 0%
Turnips
0%
0 0%
Leeks
100.00%
2 100.00%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pissing in the Rain
Bacon grease goes in the bacon grease crock and refrigerated. The rest, such as those few times I brown ground beef, goes into a glass jar and tossed when the jar is full or when it starts turning green. I don't produce much waste oil/grease when cooking. Except roast chicken. A lot of grease in the pan after roasting a chicken. A little of that is used to make gravy, the rest heads to the landfill.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
So we've been futzing around with trying to grow some stuff in a small raised garden for a few years, and by futzing I mean I'd drop a few seeds into the soil and occasionally I'd look out the window and see that the leaves sticking up through the weeds are looking rather brown, so I'd turn the hose on. That futzing also applied to the compost bins which would collect kitchen waste and a weekly bag of lawn clippings, which would settle down enough to make room for another bag of lawn clippings the next week. But otherwise, the bins were ignored. No balancing of carbon to nitrogen, no turning, etc. I was in no hurry to get the compost so I let the anaerobic do the work.

But now I'm serious about it. So what happens? So far, nothing as it should. The compost isn't composting; my three week radishes are on week 5 with no sign of improvement; the leeks appear to be a loss, and I was really looking forward to leeks; the Summer Savory plant that I put in the herb garden went straight to wilt; the cauliflower appears to have seen its shadow and decided that life's better underground with the voles. (Goddamit dog! You're already digging around, how about digging with a purpose and get rid of them.)

But on the bright side, there's no shortage of urine.
Your in trouble!

Bacon grease crock?

I just hope I'm walking in time to plant a garden. No early indoor plants this year. I may lean toward cucumbers and broccoli this year (always grow scarlet runner beans). Need to get the nearby Black Walnut tree zapped so I have more options. I'm not sure I'll get back into composting.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
(04-15-2014, 08:40 AM)Kersus Wrote: Your in trouble!
You mean the voles? I'm not really sure there are any. I did see a couple suspicious holes, but not much evidence of tunneling.

(04-15-2014, 08:40 AM)Kersus Wrote: Bacon grease crock?
It looks a little kinda like this a bit, but with a lid.

But on with the Further Adventures in Futility: Frost warning tonight, just like last night but without the thunderstorms.
New start and how the hell is a person supposed to grow tomatoes when the temperature keeps dropping below 50F? I've already lost one crop, if you can call three plants a crop. They were looking fine, then came a frost, and the next day there were three brown spots. The garlic is flourishing, but it takes effort to ruin garlic, as is the thyme, rosemary, sage, and chives. The basil and parsley, however . . ..

The peppers are a mixed bag, so far. The habanero was hit hard, but is still there, unlike the jalapeno which disappeared with no trace it ever existed. The other peppers seem to be doing fine, so far.
I think my father used to start tomatoes inside in the cardboard egg cartons.
He was, still is when he bothers, good at gardens and in particular tomatoes.

Good luck sorry for the loss of your crop!
Well, lost the peppers, too, except for the habanero, which is valiantly clinging to life like it's Generalissimo Francisco Franco reincarnate.
So. Planted six new pepper plants, one sweet, one "spicy", and four hot; two basil plants, sweet Genovese and a "purple" (no indication of which variety of purple leaf basil); and two varieties of heirloom tomato plants (can't remember the names). According to the weekly forecast, the lows won't be dropping below 60F for the next week, so hopefully the only reasons I'll lose any more plants is because of incompetence and/or neglect. Or voles. Or poor drainage because of too much clay in the soil. Or locusts. My money's on incompetence with locusts in a close second..
Now I'm starting to wonder whether the weather killed the peppers. Went out this morning and the jalapeno plant I planted yesterday is gone.
You've got critters! Smile