Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[ACT] What are you reading?
"It Worked for Me" by Colin Powell © 2012 Third Printing 2016 Flat Signed Yesterday.
Tracy Johnson

BT

NNNN
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon (Light Novel) Volume 2

Tales of Peril by J Eric Holmes (edited by Allan grodog Grohe)
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Philip K. Dick

The 1982 edition touting Blade Runner on the cover.

Hadn't read it in 20-some years, but it reinforced a couple things. One, faithful adaptations of Dick's works are few and far between, and Blade Runner is not one of them. Don't get me wrong, I love the movie. Well, the cut of the movie that doesn't try to reinforce the bullshit Deckard-is-an-Android theory. And two, Philip K. Dick was brilliant as an idea and concept writer, but not so much as a storyteller, especially ending it. I still have no idea what the hell he was trying to do with the end of The Man in the High Castle. Anyway, PKD. Always worth the read, regardless.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
(09-09-2018, 04:39 AM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Philip K. Dick

I've been looking for a copy so I can read this. I can't even recall if I've read it before however I want to read it before I re-watch one of the original cuts and then the sequel. Which movie cut do you recommend. I think my collection only has the Director's Cut. Did you find A Scanner Darkly faithful to the book?

Currently reading the Light Novel Sword Oratorio #1 and the manga Bleach #3 (because the new live action movie inspired me to try again).

Know into "The Joy of Encouragement" by David Jeremiah

I can barely read a comic book these days. No time during the day and too tired at night.

I am nearly through the audiobook of Agent of the Imperium by Marc Miller

(03-03-2020, 05:49 AM)Kersus Wrote: I can barely read a comic book these days. No time during the day and too tired at night.

Marc Miller the Traveller dude? Nice, how is it???
(03-03-2020, 11:08 PM)rredmond Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 05:49 AM)Kersus Wrote: I can barely read a comic book these days. No time during the day and too tired at night.

Marc Miller the Traveller dude? Nice, how is it???

Yes! After meeting him I couldn't help but back his latest kickstarter with more money than I had to budget for such things. I started reading it on my Kobo, then got the softcover and went further and then got the audiobook which I'm well into now.

I can't exactly say until things wrap up. There's a lot going on but in the least it's a tour around the 3rd Imperium. The writing is good for gamer-fiction and should be quite fun for anyone interested in the Traveller universe or how it deals with worlds and technology. I doubt it will rock your world.

Just finished the first eight books of The Expanse. Didn't bother with the short stories and novellas, figuring they were more supplementary reading material than integral subject matter. It's been interesting seeing how the show differs, hitting most of the plot points, but due to the differences in media, changing a lot of the context. Like dialogue that a main character said in the book being used by a one-off, single-episode character in the show; it doesn't really carry the same weight. As a bonus, cross-thread comment, in re-watching the early seasons I noticed that there was a lot of expository dialogue to let the viewer know what wan happening that left me wondering, "And the character knows this information how?"

Anywho, a good read. The final book is scheduled to be released some time this year, as is the final season of the show, although the producers are calling it a hiatus, not an end, which is just as well because the show only covers the first six books, roughly.

Edit: just notice this is post 69. Niice. /Borat
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
Up to the September 2019 issue of the U.S. Naval Institute's "Proceedings". 

I'm 18 months behind on that reading list.  curious to see what articles it will have on pandemic will have when I catch up.
Tracy Johnson

BT

NNNN