Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ACT] Your last movie?
Mars (1997) Olivier Gruner, Shari Belafonte, Lindsey Ginter

For a movie starring Gruner and Belafonte, and featuring Amber Smith, it's surprisingly not-god-awful. And I was surprised. In fact, I'd rate it as almost good for a low-budget sci-fi movie, but not bad enough to turn it off.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
(08-12-2020, 02:35 PM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote: Silent Night, Bloody Night (1972, released 1974) Patrick O'Neal, Mary Woronov, James Patterson (the dead one), John "Mutherfucking" Carradine, baby!

The classic. Want to see some Factory people without watching an Andy Warhol film? This one has eight, not the least of whom is Woronov. (You know her from Death Race 2000, Rock and Roll High School, and Night of the Comet.)

Fun fact: The movie was never registered in the US and has "fallen" into the public domain, which explains the incredibly shitty digital transfer. Seriously. It looks like it was first converted to 480x270 then that file was blown up to 720p. Just awful.

Hmmmm... I think it's included in the card game https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3944...adly-night

I did watch Dora and indeed found it amusing. I've never seen the cartoon. I also really like when the characters talk to the camera/audience. Ferris Bueller, Kuffs, Top Secret, etc.

I also enjoyed 1987's Warrior Queen https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094298/ 
[Image: MV5BNmFjZDIxOTUtNGU0Mi00YjEwLWI5NDUtMGFh...@._V1_.jpg]
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Solomon Kane (2009) (or is it 2012?) James Purefoy, Max von Sydow, Rachel Hurd-Wood

I confess. I've never read any of Howard's Solomon Kane. Still, I don't think this movie is anything like what Bob wrote. That said, I suspect that the movie would be better regarded had the character been called something else.
The intro for the Solomon Kane movie is absolutely awesome to me. I've shown it to everyone I can. The mirrors, the cold breath, the words and battle. That short part is enough to satisfy me. I also really like James Purefoy. I've read comic book adaptations of Kane and even have a novel by Howard and look forward to reading it. Snagged the Savage Worlds RPG on sale for it. Someday.....
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Idaho Transfer (1973) Kelly Bohanon, Caroline Hildebrand, Keith "Fourth Son" Carradine, baby!

The Peter Fonda-directed, time travel, cautionary tale of the depletion of Earth's resources. A very '70s independent movie.
The Big Empty (2003) Jon Favreau, Joey Lauren Adams, Rachel Leigh Cook

BUD CORT
Yesterday's Target (1996) Daniel Baldwin, Malcolm McDowell, LeVar Burton
Not so much low budget as economy budget. Could have been worse. Could have been Stephen Baldwin.
Hostile (2017) Brittany Ashworth, Grégory Fitoussi

A Sci-fi/horror story used to disguise a romance flick. Terrible. Awful. What a piece of crap. 4 out of 5 stars.
Phobe: The Xenophobic Experiments (1995) John Rubick, Tina Dumoulin, Lyon Tenbroeck

The made-for-community-access-cable movie that's as good as the mullets featured in it.

Fun fact: It had a budget of $250 Canadian. Just goes to show that you can't fix bad no matter how much money you throw at it.

Okay, that just came out mean. Yes, the acting wasn't good, but they weren't actors. Yes, the script was bad and the story unoriginal. But the incidental music didn't suck and did a decent job of reflecting, and even directing, the mood. The camera work and editing wasn't bad; at no point was I confused about the action. The pacing of the film was generally good. And the fact of the matter was I watched the entire film. Yeah, I also folded laundry then had a sandwich (roast beef and Swiss with lettuce, onion, and horseradish mustard on whole wheat. I was out of tomato), but I didn't turn it off, and there have been plenty of movies that I've turned off. Hell, I could have watched Twister but watched this instead and I do not regret it. Granted, I could watch a slow-motion film of grass growing and I'd prefer it having to sit though Twister again. Jami Gertz in a wet, white shirt was the only decent thing in that movie. A wet Jami Gertz, that's what that movie should have been. 90 minutes of nothing but a wet Jami Gertz is a better plot than what we got, that's for certain.

Anyway. If anyone tries to give somebody involved with Phobe: The Xenophobic Experiments any shit, all they have to do is say, "And where's your movie?" But those mullets really were terrible.
War of the Satellites (1958) Richard Devon, Susan Cabot, Dick Miller (yes, that Dick Miller)

The Roger Corman adaptation of the Irving Block story starring regulars in the Corman stable producing standard Corman fare, which is to say low budget awesomeness.