Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ACT] Your last movie?
God's Not Dead - While it has a few flaws, it was better than I expected and Sorbo was the best I've ever seen him. Cain was mediocre and the rest of the cast was pretty good. It was directed well and the post production was solid. It starts a little slow but snags a decent pace and keeps it through the movie. It won't be for everyone but if it generates some thought, it's worth it.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Now You See Me - A little wooden and utterly predictable; it was also cute. Ruffalo and Harrelson were a little out of place and the acting overall was so-so with Cain and Freeman standing out as you'd expect. A little overly linear for something intending to be magical but like Inception proved, colour code your plot for people and they'll love it. It's not really intended to be a thinker or have much depth. 3/5

Non-Stop - This was better than I expected. It wasn't non-stop action but it was a solid action/thriller with Neeson in good form. He's been overused like this but it's still good. There's nothing here that will knock your socks off; it's just a solid action movie that probably deserves a little more credit than it gets. 4/5

Dark Knight Rises - Still a powerful movie that fulfils what was needed. They did the Bane storyline justice. It's unfortunate they couldn't move directly into a Nightwing franchise. I haven't gotten sick of it yet.

The Fury (1978)
Brian de Palma's follow up to Carrie starring Kirk Douglas, John Cassevetes, and Amy Irving. A taut "supernatural" (ESP, telepathy, etc. as opposed to ghosts) thriller full of '70s sensibilities, fashion, music, and acting. Still miles ahead of all the mindless action-packed CGI wankfests being made today. These were the days when if they needed to blow the shit out of a building or drop a car in the Chicago River, they found a building and blew the shit out of it or dropped a car into the Chicago River.

Fun facts: Film debut for Dennis Franz (frequent de Palma actor, NYPD Blue), Darryl Hannah (Splash, Blade Runner, KillBill), and Laura Innes (ER, The Event). Also, Jim Belushi worked as an extra on the movie. Also, the hotel used early in the film is the same hotel that Carrie Fisher blew up in The Blues Brothers.

4/5
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
In a World... - Directed by Lake Bell, starring... Lake Bell. This isn't the pretty Lake Bell you've seen before but an all new awkward and very average Lake Bell. This was actually a cute movie but was also drawn out and a little boring with some tacked on issues just to make it a movie. Artistically it has some potential and while I read a lot of anti-Bell reviews, I think she did pretty good. Still, overall 2/5

A Night in Old Mexico Pretty awful. Oh so very slow. It was more a slice of life than anything with plot. A decent background movie if you have something actually interesting to do. That said, the cast was great, just not great enough to make the movie good. 1/5

John Wick was everything I wanted it to be and even had a couple laughs. Fantastic action. The only complaint I have is that it went on 15-20 minutes too long. Had they taken that time to simply have more action getting to the climax, I would have been fine. They just tried to generate some plot near the end that, while fine, wasn't necessary. Truly incredible vengeance movie. 5/5

Okay, I also complain that the reg popcorn and too small drink with a hot dog and some mini Snickers cost me $30.

Second run theaters are a beautiful thing. You're still paying too much for the snacks, but you save 6 to 8 dollars on the ticket. Just don't go to one expecting 3D or Imax.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade