Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Boil an Egg and other simple recipes
Banana

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
Now that looks like a delicious, well-peeled banana.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
Reiterating: Searing meat does NOT "seal in the juices."
Why do I like it seared? Really it's with a rack of lamb. Properly roasted and then either seared or broiled quickly at the end. When I'm done BBQing a steak I crank the heat right up to turn the fat into candy. I guess that's different than what other people mean by searing the flavor in. I do try to make it almost black on the outside while bloody in the middle. Learning to tell how done a steak is by touch.

I did stop murdering my beef with a tenderizer hammer.

The cuts of meat that require a meat tenderizer are being improperly used if you need to tenderize them.
I know I had shared this one but it must have been on one of the old forums.

Omelette

Just the omelette, not the filling, and just the main thing almost every recipe I've read gets wrong. Do not cook an omelette over medium-high heat. Pour the beaten, seasoned eggs into a heated, oiled pan over low heat. Then put a lid on the pan and cook for five minutes or so. The main purpose of the lid is to make sure you leave it alone. It also traps moisture inside, cooking the top also, but that's less important than leaving the omelette the fuck alone. At this point you can add your filling and fold over the omelette.

I could never make a good omelette until I read this in an Indian recipe book, of all places.
Lazy Frittata

Make an omelette, but instead of cooking the eggs and putting in the filling at the end, put the filling into the pan and pour the egg over the filling. Cover and cook as per usual for an omelette. No, this won't be as good as an actual frittata, but when you're being lazy, the additional effort isn't worth the improvement. It's like when I don't feel like making a salad. No making a salad isn't that great an effort, but throwing a bag of frozen peas into the microwave is so much easier.

Caution with Lazy Frittatas: watch the moisture content of the filling, tomatoes in particular. Just add the wet stuff toward the end of the cooking process.
See, red M&M do taste better.
(07-18-2021, 06:18 PM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote: Lazy Frittata

Make an omelette, but instead of cooking the eggs and putting in the filling at the end, put the filling into the pan and pour the egg over the filling. Cover and cook as per usual for an omelette. No, this won't be as good as an actual frittata, but when you're being lazy, the additional effort isn't worth the improvement. It's like when I don't feel like making a salad. No making a salad isn't that great an effort, but throwing a bag of frozen peas into the microwave is so much easier.

Caution with Lazy Frittatas: watch the moisture content of the filling, tomatoes in particular. Just add the wet stuff toward the end of the cooking process.

This is closer to what I do although I usually go for a little scrambled (cause I can't leave it alone) and err on the side of undercooked over dry. The Omelette recipe sounds like an egg panzerotti.