Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HackMoor 2018/06/07 Fighting the Pit Fiend - Part II
Games are on Thursday nights sometime after 6:30PM at World's Best Comics, 9714 Warwick Blvd Newport News, Virginia 23601.

To satisfy the cravings for Pepperoni that my group lacked due to the reservations of one member who refuses it, I got two pizzas, one large sausage, one large pepperoni.

Map of new explorations attached in gif format but not this battle as that layout is redundant from last week. I'm only attaching new Level 12. Less the Kenzerco forum as my permissions img code is off.

PART 1.

++++ START OF SESSION ++++

As the pit fiend flew over Huang, it attempted another Charm spell on him and failed at a flying movement rate of 18", Huang kept easily at the same pace but could not jump high enough to reach it.  Timing was important, as initiative die rolls determined who is first.  

Grok, decided to risk the flames from the Wall of Fire and move up behind Gnomex.  Even with his ring of Fire Resistance, actually going through the wall entailed taking a limited (up to 10 points only) of fire damage.  A player tried to argue that running through the Wall of Fire is not the same, however the rule for the ring is explicit, and I prevailed.  Regardless of damage to Grok, this proved to be fortuitous for the Party, as we shall see.

Next round as the Pit Fiend continued to fly, initiative played a major role as the Pit Fiend was on Segment 9.  While Grok's spell, a simple Web, took effect on Segment 8.  The Fiend simply ran into the web during the normal course of movement.  (Manuverability Class "B").  While the strength of the Pit Fiend would simply overcome the web or if the Fiend could simply Dispel it, it was still sudden enough to stop its flight and make it fall.

Huang was waiting where it fell and struck rolling a critical hit causing double damage.  His Player then played a card doubling the damage again for a total of 100 points, killing the Pit Fiend.

In hindsight, I should have had the Pit Fiend Teleport to its destination.

Next the Party did an assessment and took experience and honor point awards.

It turned out that behind the starting point of the Pit Fiend, there were stairs going down.  Although it struck me as odd, that while the text of the module said the Pit Fiend had been trapped in that for several hundred years.  So why had not the Pit Fiend simply taken the stairs down?  It goes against the intelligence score of this particular Pit Fiend.

So, the Party sent Aerys down the stairwell, 1001 steps assuming the game module is correct not that it mattered, she used her wings and flew.  Where she found a ledge into leading into pitch blackness.  The area around the ledge was also pitch black, as well as the stairwell but that would be redundant.  In other words whatever light source she was using was good enough for the stairwell and the ledge, but not past it.  Whatever was beyond was simply past range of her light.  

So Aerys took a flying leap (I always wanted to say that).  After all, she could fly anyway, so going down she discovered the bottom was 200 feet down a cliff into a forest of giant mushrooms.  Well let's say the tops of the giant mushrooms were 200 feet down.  The real bottom was 80 feet more.  

After some reconnaissance she flew back up, over the ledge, and up the stairwell and reported back to the Party.  The Party in turn repeated this performance but only by walking.  When they got to the ledge they debated how best to get down the cliff, which included two dozen recently rescued dwarfs.

The most creative method presented was the simple fact that since Huang is an 11th level Monk, he can't possibly be harmed by any fall.  So all they had to do is pile up on Huang's back and jump (hands free, of course).

Wait, that can't be right.  Huang is only an 11th Monk, his ability to fall any distance starts at 13th Level.   Looking at the rule it says a Monk can escape damage from falling as follows: 10 feet at 2nd Level, 20 feet at 4th Level, 30 feet at 6th Level, no damage at all at 13th Level.  Looking closer, there is no joining ellipsis (...) in the rule between 6th and 13th Level, nor any other piece of grammar that says the reader should extrapolate the number of feet to fall between 6th and 13th level.  

This ain't the first time I've been told Huang can fall any number of height distances.  The only other thing is a "Talent" on Huang's character sheet that says "Slow Fall 10 feet", I don't know where that Talent comes from as I don't see it in the rules or supplements.  Even so, I would think it only applies for 10 feet, and applying at the last 10 feets is against the laws of physics.

Once again I got snookered by clever Players.

In any case, they settled on casting another Web spell between two large mushrooms in the forest and simply tossing themselves into it.  I contemplated a die roll to "miss" the Web and told the Players so, but the Players got their way and avoided it.

Also once again the Party declared itself once again on the trail of the thief whole stole their magic items.  Actually they said so earlier when they sent Aerys down the stairs but I waited until now to write it.  Apparently there were footsteps on the ledge 200 feet above and matching footprints on the musky ground that centuries of spores will have made.  Amazing.

The party followed these footprints.

++++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR ++++

BT

BBBB

PART 2.

++++ CHARACTER ROSTER ++++

CHARACTERS
Grok the Dwarf, a third level WitchRanger (Battlemage subclass of Magic User).
Aerys, an Elvariel, a Fingersmith (Thief class).
Baronet Huang - a Master of the West Wind of the Stone Tiger Order, (Monk class).
Numrendir - a human Conjurist (a Conjuror, Magic User subclass)
Junkbot Jackson - a human Tracker/Friar (a Ranger 5th and Cleric 6th level).

NPCs/Proteges:
Baronetess Honda - a Human Datai Samurai, Steward of Catan (formerly Temple of the Frog)
Gnomex, a Gnome Adept of Geardal Ironhand (Cleric class.)
Tanzen - a Fae-Born first level Exciter. (Fourth level Invoker, a Magic User subclass).
Fundisha - a half-Elf Swordsperson/Tout (Fighter and Infiltrator, a Thief subclass).
Two dozen dwarf miners

CAPTURED CHARACTERS (both PCs and NPCs)
Gerry Castagere, human Fingersmith, (Thief class) and ever loving devotee of Elefus, abandoned to the Blood Cult in the City of Brass on the Plane of Fire.

MISSING/OFFLINE/RETIRED CHARACTERS
Count Elefus, a human Abbot of Heimdall (Cleric class).  RETIRED
Felipe the Dwarf, a third level Sigil (Chosen One subclass of Cleric).
Jacko, an Albino Dork Elf, a Master Espion (Infiltrator, subclass of Thief).
Serena 2.0 - First Level Battle Mage Second (a Protege of Jacko).
Sir Weasel, human Guild Soldier, Warlock, & Champion (Thief, Magic User, & Fighter classes) he stayed back in BlackMoor.
- and nine Pilgrim henchmen of various levels. (They wear hoodies.)
Slade Wilson - Dwarven Professional (a Bounty Hunter, Fighter subclass) Left behind at Catan.

BT

BBBB

++++ RECORD KEEPING ++++

PART 3.

This is also posted on three forums, and a blog.
http://blackmoor.mystara.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=76
http://www.furiouslyeclectic.com/forum/f...php?fid=13
http://www.kenzerco.com/forums/forumdisp...ster-Tales
http://furiouslyeclectic.com/hackmoor/

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tracy Johnson

BT

NNNN
(06-14-2018, 01:56 PM)tmjva Wrote: The only other thing is a "Talent" on Huang's character sheet that says "Slow Fall 10 feet", I don't know where that Talent comes from as I don't see it in the rules or supplements.

I can state with near-absolute certainty that it isn't from any printed 4th edition module or supplement, HackJournal through #25 or Knights of the Dinner Table through issue 110.

99 and 44/100% sure.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade