Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DT] What RPGs have you played recently?
Star 
What RPGs have you been playing? How did it go? Tell us about it?

I was just at GaryCon so I have a few games under my belt.

Dungeon Crawl Classics GMed by the author of the adventure. It went really well and was a fun adventure with old-school flair but the system didn't impress me. I bought the adventure and had the artist and author sign it. I will run it in the future utilizing a different system.

AD&D 1e with Frank Mentzer, Rob Kuntz, and Allan Grohe - three separate adventures and three different styles. I very much enjoyed the sessions. Frank set us with a situation and left us to our own devices. Rob led us on a deadly journey with a mix of story, action, and adventure. Allan gave us a taste of Rob's Bottle City.

Lance with Chris Clark and the adventure Dark Visitor which was especially cool since it's a sequel to the Dark Outpost adventure I played through with Jim Ward at my last GaryCon. What made this especially cool was playing alongside my companion.

WEGs with the creator and B2 The Keep on the Borderlands. He's a fantastic GM however the system didn't grab me with it's cards and complexity. I would absolutely play again though.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
I've got my regular AD&D 1e game going on since '08. Played a little bit of Call of Cthulhu back around last Halloween. That's about it. Might give Dangerous Journeys: Mythus another go this summer.

Speaking of Dangerous Journeys, someone should give mastertwisted, aka Dave, a heads-up that we're over here now.
I DMed some AD&D 1E last weekend. Played with my three oldest daughters, it was the (now) 7yo's birthday, and she played, which is new as it was the first time she played more than a few minutes. My 10yo and 12yo played, as well as my buddy Pete and his two oldest. We just barely made it into "the Courtyard" in the 2 or 3 hour game, but it was a lot of fun!
[Image: product_thumbnail.php?productId=3778198&resolution=320]
Ran a session of Lejendary Adventure last night by doing a twist on Jon Creffield's A Question of Tribute and finally utilizing all the Asian research and the Avatars in the Rogues Gallery here.

The group seemed frustrated at the uselessness of the Geisha in traditional play but this was partially because she rolled about six fumbles. The Psychogenic Monk appeared useful to the group but their effect was mostly cosmetic. The Kunoichi did well and the Sohei was masterful. Myself as LM, I was a little rusty as the group provided some very resourceful solutions that I really didn't credit them enough with in play, so I made up for it with merits.

eg. bought a wagon and hid the goods while talking their way passed the brigands.

The low point was actually a deadly battle as the group really didn't care for combat.

We played on the floor and my legs were so very stiff. We realized how ridiculous it was to game and be healthy and took a break partway through to get pop and chips.

(04-06-2014, 10:57 PM)rredmond Wrote: We just barely made it into "the Courtyard" in the 2 or 3 hour game, but it was a lot of fun!

I am used to marathon games of 12+ hours and always wondered what one could really accomplish in a couple, but I think as I age, 5 hours is the sweet spot if it's evening play.

I'm trying to decide what to run this weekend for a few friends. I'll probably try Cosmic Patrol, but may also startup a new C&C or S&W game for our biennial play.

Platemail 27.0 - through the HackMaster 4e version of B1

I've been DMing G1 over Skype. With two buddies from college and two friends from the Unseen Servant PbP boards. We just did the third session, and the fourth is this Friday night. I've been having a kick getting back into DMing adults. My Skype auto records my calls too, so I've been able to learn a bit from listening to them. Plus the more I do it, the more comfortable I am. I still have to figure out how to track time on the fly here. One of the guys has dust of disappearance going, and the other is very fixated by time. Luckily they are in the dungeon  level (kind of avoiding a lot of the upper level), so time isn't that big a factor at this point.
Man it has been fun though. And last week was a rip, best session yet, so I'm hoping that this Friday goes just as well. Only thing is that we've been going monthly or every other month, and now (because the fates worked in our favor) it is going to be two weeks in a row. I'm sure it'll go well though.
Game on!
--Ron--
I forgot to mention that I played D&D5e a few times.... Three sessions I believe; run by Greg Ellis.

Last night I ran a simple encounter with Lejendary Adventure. The Troll encounter was pretty much eradicated by the Safe Haven Activation (buffed Rope Trick). Ah well. They did find a key and some helpful items they can't identify.

(04-06-2014, 01:14 PM)trp Wrote: I've got my regular AD&D 1e game going on since '08. Played a little bit of Call of Cthulhu back around last Halloween. That's about it. Might give Dangerous Journeys: Mythus another go this summer.

Speaking of Dangerous Journeys, someone should give mastertwisted, aka Dave, a heads-up that we're over here now.

How do you feel about CoC. My experiences as a player have not been appealing.

I'd love to play a session of Mythus someday.

Getting set to be a player in 5e again. I need to level up my PC. The game really just feels like a buffed 3e to me at the moment. Superpowers and complications. The group is fun though.