Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ACT] Your last movie?
Proud Mary (2018) Taraji P. Henson, Billy Brown, Jahi Di'Allo Winston, Danny "Too Old For This Shit" Glover

imdb gives it 5.0. Sound right. Does some stuff well, others, not so well. But I knew what I was in for when the opening song turned out to be not Ike & Tina Turners cover of "Proud Mary" but the Temptation's "Papa was a Rolling Stone." Why? Who knows. When they finally do use "Proud Mary" it's in a context that fits neither the song nor the plot.
Getting me free admission into gaming conventions for a decade
Tenet (2020) John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Kenneth Branagh

The latest Christopher Nolan, big budget, high concept, sci-fi movie, and the mechanics of the movie's conceit make no goddamn sense.
All of the Jesse Stone movies.
"Save inches for the bathroom; we're using feet here." ~ Rob Kuntz (2014)

--brought to you by TOLHosting, the service without the site--
(05-28-2021, 12:48 PM)Oedipussy Rex Wrote: Tenet (2020) John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Kenneth Branagh

The latest Christopher Nolan, big budget, high concept, sci-fi movie, and the mechanics of the movie's conceit make no goddamn sense.
Just finished this one, still going WTH in my head.

Enjoyed Army of the Dead though. Dopey good fun and intrigued as to how Tig Notaro got all photoshopped in. Big Grin
Anna (2019) Sasha Luss, Helen Mirren, Luke Evans, Cillian Murphy

Written and directed by Luc Besson, it has many similarities to Nikita (1990) (written and directed by) and Point of No Return (1993) (the 'murican version). Much better than his previous written and directed by, Lucy (2014), which was just stupid. (Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets doesn't count as he wrote the screenplay adaptation, not the story. I haven't seen Valerian, so I can't attest to its stupidity.)

Fun fact: This is Sasha Luss' second film, the first being the aforementioned Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.
The Tomorrow War (2021) Chris Pratt, Yvonne Strahovski, Sam Richardson, J. K. Simmons

So aliens have obliterated the human race, humanity figures out time travel, and travels to the past not to prepare for the invasion before it happens, but instead to recruit mostly old people with no combat experience to take back to the future to fight aliens that already have killed over seven billion people? Sure, why not.
Was it any good? I've heard good things about it, but it sounds silly. Smile
(07-09-2021, 03:43 AM)rredmond Wrote: Was it any good? I've heard good things about it, but it sounds silly. Smile

I enjoyed it. It's got a decent amount of humour and action. Very heckle-worthy. We took an extra hour to laugh, replay scenes and heckle it. Part video for a thrill-ride in a theme park and part Aliens vs Military movie and part Kangaroo Jack comedy. Probably originally designed for 3D based on how everything flies at the screen. Plenty of inconsistencies but less troublesome and more laughable.

Then again I did not enjoy Army of the Dead. It felt like a 15 minute skit with a good concept but with each scene dragged out until it made a feature length movie.

Probably true on the Army of the Dead. Definitely not a classic at all, but it coulda been shorter!
Tig Notaro being cut into scenes that were originally filmed with a male actor did make me chuckle though. Big Grin
Ohhhh! Was that the Chris D'Elia thing? I didn't realize it was this movie. I just can't picture him as a helicopter pilot. He might have helped with the humour....